A Newbie Seeking Guidance.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFH MaelStrom

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

This is my first post and I would like to say thank you for welcoming me into this forum.

I am unfamiliar with the Japanese guitar market and am hoping I can get some guidance.

I have been looking at reviews and scouring the internet for information, but I cannot find anything on the specific guitars I am looking for.

I hear rave reviews about Tokai, but I am hesitant about buying a guitar without seeing it or handling it first.

So, what this all boils down to is, in everyone here's experience, is the LC 215 worth almost twice as much as LC 122?

Thank you very much in advance.

Where are you in Texas?

I can tell you first hand, I've bought most all of my MIJ guitars sight unseen from Japan and other sellers here in the states and I've never received a clam. Sure I've sold many them after awhile but usually to finance another purchase. You won't find many (if any) "golden era" late 70's and 80's MIJ brands (Burny, Greco, Orville, Tokai, etc) hanging in a Guitar Center and if you do find one in an independent shop or pawn shop, be prepared to pay more than you should.

Read up on them, familiarize yourself with the various brands.... this forum is a great step in doing that.

I am from the San Antonio area.

I just noticed that I didn't put a specific city, so I edited my profile to show that.

That's why I'm here. I want as much information as I can get before I make a blind commitment.

If the guitar is worth it, it's worth it.

Best thing to do is post the link or photos of the guitar(s) you're interested in so that everyone can have a peek to check it out. It's better to be proactive than "hey I just bought this guitar for a fortune and need to know what you guys think" :wink:

If you're comparing the LC215 to the LC122, in a word, yes.... the LC215 is worth alot more that the LC122. Due in part to using premium build materials and finishes like one piece top and back, ebony fretboard, aluminum tailpiece, brass saddles, nitro finish, switchcraft components, hard shell case, etc. Here are the specs:

TOP: Mahogany One Piece Top
Mahogany One Piece Back
NECK : Mahogany One Piece
Set-Neck Deep Joint
Head Angle 18?
FINGERBOARD : Ebony
RADIUS : 300R
FRETS : 22F ♯213
SCALE : 625/312.5mm
BRIDGE : HLS-VB(Brass Saddle)Bridge
TAILPIECE: HLS-VT Aluminum TailPiece
TUNERS : Gotoh SG301-04
NUT(width) : Bone(43.0mm)
INLAY : Block(Mother of Pearl)
PICKUPS : PAF-Vintage MK2?2(Made In Japan)
CONTROLS : 2V.,2T.,
SWITCH: 3way Toggle SW
POT : CTS
SWITCH : Switchcraft
CONDENSER Sprague Orange Drop
JACKS : Switchcraft
FINISH : Lacquer Finish
COLOUR : WR

With Hard Shell Case

Alright. That's making me feel pretty optimistic.

What brand or product line is the Tokai Premium line comparable to in build quality?

Just so i can have some sort of reference point.

CFH MaelStrom said:
Alright. That's making me feel pretty optimistic.

What brand or product line is the Tokai Premium line comparable to in build quality?

Just so i can have some sort of reference point.

I think we'll all agree that considering the build quality, materials used, and overall specs on the Premium Series Tokai's, they'll eat any off the rack Gibson for lunch. I'd put them up their with the custom shop stuff for a fraction of the price.

I have both a premium LC in black and a vintage series LC in white.

Both are fantastic guitars and both get used equally in rehearsals and live as I rotate my guitars with a new set of strings for each gig.

Marcus has already given you the specs so I won't go into that.

If you want a solid and reliable workhorse go for the LC122 - you won't be disappointed as it is a great guitar and will last you forever.

If you have the cash now for the LC215 and really hanker after something a bit special, that will rival a custom shop job from any US manufacturer then this is the one to go for...

You can't go wrong with either and you pays your money and takes your choice...but if you go for the LC122 when your heart was set on the higher spec guitar, then you might be left with that 'what if...' feeling....

Well said Johny.

I read an earlier post about the SG196 (I think) and someone said the same thing.

I am going to definitely get the LC 215.

To me, dollar for dollar, it's worth it.

I love ebony and hate regret, so Its Win-Win!

So, now comes the most important question of all.

Where is the best place to buy?

Is this a safe site to buy from?

They appear to be the cheapest (that I have found so far)

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/guitarplanet/item/tokai_lc215_wine_red_lp_ctm/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_en

Yes, the LC215 should cost about twice as much as the LC122.

Don't worry about buying a Tokai without playing or seeing it first...Tokais are kind of boring, :), every single one is built to perfection, the consistency is on a par with Tom Andersons and the best of USA PRS.

Here's my buddy playing a LC122 (one of his nine Tokais), it's Wine Red but it looks black in the video.
Mark usually has a Tokai TTE55B Tele and a LS165S Gold Top on stage when he gigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN6DPab0xhA

Well, I am officially deadset on the 215, so now I just need to figure out where to buy from.

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/rockin-daddy/tokai-lc215-wr.html

This is the best price that I have found online, but I am not sure if they ship stateside

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/guitarplanet/item/tokai_lc215_wine_red_lp_ctm/

I also found this one which is pretty good price wise and I am pretty sure they will ship it stateside.

Are either of these safe? Should I just try Ebay?

Choose one that ships to the States and pull the trigger. :D

They both use EMS Shipping from Japan, 100% reliable, delivered to your door in 4 to 5 days.

I can vouch for Guitar Planet. The price that's listed for the guitar might include shipping, which is about $100.00 to the USA.

Hopefully I'll be ordering in the next 2 weeks.

I figure about $1800 will cover everything including the import tariff, which I'm hoping I'll get lucky and not have to pay.

I might be reading some of the translations wrong, because they really are just awful, but it feels like some of them are trying to say the premium line is made to order?

Any truth to this, or is it goblety gook?

CFH MaelStrom said:
Hopefully I'll be ordering in the next 2 weeks.

I figure about $1800 will cover everything including the import tariff, which I'm hoping I'll get lucky and not have to pay.

I might be reading some of the translations wrong, because they really are just awful, but it feels like some of them are trying to say the premium line is made to order?

Any truth to this, or is it goblety gook?

There is no import tariff on guitars being imported into the USA.

When they say the Premium line is made to order what they mean is they don't have stock of a particular Premium Series model.
Any new order to Tokai currently takes 5 months to be completed, so if they order you a Premium Series model it will take 5 months to be made...thus "made to order".

Keep in mind, Tokai dealers order a lot more Vintage Series models than Premium Series models because they know how good the Vintage Series models are.

5 months. Wow, that's quite a wait.

Makes me wonder if, considering the price difference and wait time, an LC122 would do me just as well.

As far as the tariff goes, that is good to know.

Back