Goldstar Body Restoration

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers guys, ive got a few pickguards in stock and they all look good with this colour, parchment,white, mint green and tortiose , not sure which at the mo

Hi beetleing,

Very nice restoration so far. I look forward to seeing the finished product.
The body wood is Alder so it will take the finish very well.
With the rosewood neck and Sonic Blue paint, I would go with Parchment plastic as it really keeps it with the vintage vibe

I just completed a restoration on a 1980 LS-60 and a 1980 ST-80 so I share the highs and lows of doing N/C lacquering. Thankfully neither guitar bodies had been carved up and both are now sporting 1954 Gibson Gold Top paint, the stuff with the copper pieces in the paint. The ST-80 has a Sen body and Rosewood 'v' neck with white scratchplate and cream covers and knobs. Overall it came out well but the finish has absorbed into the Sen and you can see grain lines through the finish.

Peter Mac

Hi beetleing,

Very nice restoration so far. I look forward to seeing the finished product.
The body wood is Alder so it will take the finish very well.
With the rosewood neck and Sonic Blue paint, I would go with Parchment plastic as it really keeps it with the vintage vibe

I just completed a restoration on a 1980 LS-60 and a 1980 ST-80 so I share the highs and lows of doing N/C lacquering. Thankfully neither guitar bodies had been carved up and both are now sporting 1954 Gibson Gold Top paint, the stuff with the copper pieces in the paint. The ST-80 has a Sen body and Rosewood 'v' neck with white scratchplate and cream covers and knobs. Overall it came out well but the finish has absorbed into the Sen and you can see grain lines through the finish.

That sounds like 2 interesting projects Peter, any photos please?

great looking restoration job..........credit !! (the use of black powder to highlight areas is a nice tip)

as a matter of interest,what brands of material did you use..e.g. filler,sealer colour coat, clear coats etc.......

thanks and once again looks great..... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

funkilius said:
great looking restoration job..........credit !! (the use of black powder to highlight areas is a nice tip)

as a matter of interest,what brands of material did you use..e.g. filler,sealer colour coat, clear coats etc.......

Filler was isopon Top stop, Spray cans from the Manchester Guitar Tec, Steve is very helpful there
http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/shop/category/nitrocellulose-lacquer/

beetleing said:
funkilius said:

Filler was isopon Top stop, Spray cans from the Manchester Guitar Tec, Steve is very helpful there
http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/shop/category/nitrocellulose-lacquer/
And finally after flatting with 1200 then 2000 wet and dry then buffing

sorry about my toe

The mild relicing is to match the neck and hardware , the pickguard and rear cover are Fender parchment, the pickups are Custom Shop 54s which sound sweet. I have a few mint tokais so a mild reliced one is a nice addition, this will be my traveling and probably mostly used Tokai, thanks for all the comments and il post another project when it comes along.

Superb work! And just for fun, a nice story.
Back in the early sixties I got up and jammed with Rory Storm and the Hurricanes at a gig, just after Ringo left them to join the Beatles.
I borrowed their guitar player`s strat.
Yours is an absolute dead ringer for his apart from the F word on the headstock.
Lovely guitar.

Fantastic work, restoration threads like this always prolonges my life a week or so longer. A very tasteful final result IMHO.

A question: You mentioned that the new pickguard was a Fender one. Did that fit or did you have to make new drilling holes? Asking since I'd like to change my white pickguard to perhaps a mint green one, but I don't want to drill new holes on my Goldie just for that.

i got a mint green one that fitted well, for my goldstar a while back.
it was from a company on ebay, can't remember the name of the company, but they were based in holland.

Back