Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Yin-Yang Silverstars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chum
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: My Yin-Yang Silverstars Reply with quote

Hi to All,

I posted a while back about my Springy Sound. Well, I have since added two more Tokais to my collection.

My 1981 Silver Star... I am unsure of what the model is, and I hope the Silver Star experts can help me ID it... The routing of the pickup cavities look squarish... I will try to post a pic of the routing and innards later on...

The previous owner assured me that the electronics were stock. The pickups have black bobbins (sorry no pic), with Black and Blue wires...

The neck unfortunately has been refinished... I usually prefer them looking worn or played...

The back has a lot of scratches from belt buckling...

Up next: my 1982...

Stock pickups and hardware, except for the saddles, which I replaced with generic bent saddles... Interestingly, the pickups have black bobbins too, same as the previous one, but the wires on them are Red and White...

The headstock:

Here's a shot of the back of the neck, with the wear showing...

The body has been refinished. Unfortunately, it was also roughly chiseled by the former owner to accommodate a humbucker... So my local guitar tech suggested we just route away the rough bits... This is way lighter than the other Silver Star, but tonewise, sounds quite good...

And here's my daughter, guarding "Her" Tokai...

Thanks for looking! All comments welcome! I would especially appreciate an ID of both, as I am not sure what models they are.

Chum
greco_burst
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, looking like a nice pair of SS-36 strats u have, the F-key tuners and the year suggest ss-36 to me, the black bobbin pups i don't know, usually would expect to see grey bobbins with an H (tokai HOT) stamped after about 1982 crunch. The tokai Hot pups are really vintage output of around 5.4kOhms maybe less?
The only black bobbin Silver Stars I have seen are the higher end SS-80 which have the flat pole FS-1 DiMarzio's (very hot), not suggesting yours are though.
I love that vintage white Star with the tortoise pickguard, very alike SRV Scotch
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful guitars, and superb pics!
The first one is indeed a low end model for the ones with a '1' as second digit are, like the LS inkies, not produced at the Nagano factory which only did the low end models.
iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice guitars and great photos! I will have a look at your springy ones now
Chum
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!

Thanks for the kind words...

So, probably SS36? Good to know...

Hi Iain, here are a few new pics I took of the Springy Sound:

From the rear:

And here be the pair:

luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just look at neck/body joint and you could find more info (codes) and model should be in body cavitie(first one).

I like Silver Stars a lot, I had several of them. Great bang for the buck.

Last edited by luis on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
chu71
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, great looking set. the springy is absolutely gorgeous. i regret selling my ss ... great pics too
iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice springy Chum. Did you change the scratch plate on that one too?
Chum
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the pickguard/scratch plate is the stock one... I changed the pickup covers and switch tip for contrast...
mattbarlow
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ressurection!

Will any 11 screw pickguard do for a SilverStar replacement?
ajory72
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love those black Silver Stars from 82 - great players even after 30+ years. I found min need to have a new nut - [done to 2.6mm from bottom of all strings and following the fret board/fret curve... and found that to be perfect - first fret not going out of tune and whole guitar not buzzing anymore on the high strings (plus I set up all my guitars to 2.5 - 2.6mm string height).]
I sprayed a little car engine lubricant into the tuners on mine which hadn't been maintained in those 30 years lol, - Japan very humid... and the were really sticky/loose jerky - but since then are like new
Since those to fixes the only other thing I did on mine, which was black with b/w/b pickgaurd - totally stock, but has some back buckle rash on the back - which I expanded a little to see the grain as everyone was saying the early 82's were made out of Japanese basswood [I cant remember what they call it] - but low and behold I found it was alder.

Mine had the neck stamps and cavity stamps to confirm its legit etc, so a little concerned yours doesn't - but hey a lot happens in 30 years and as long as they stay in tune and play/sound like SRV/Hendrix classic strat sound you are in guitar heaven - great find - and no doubt great playas.

Love the Silver Stars!!!!
ajory72
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: having the springs set up the way you have all pointing into the middle is counter productive, they need to line up straight so you wont get any odd noises or issues.
You don't have to but I find the best set up if your happy too is this:
Make sure the 3 springs [if you only have 3] are on BOTH connectors 1 - 3 - 5.
With the "claw" at the neck end don't have it right up to the body/neck end - but unscrew it to about 2 - 2.5 inches away - don't worry if you see screw its all good just don't go too far- you should notice the springs stay tight - I don't know anyone who like their strat bridge to float [but hey its yours so keep slacking the springs if you want]
What I do is use the adjustment above making sure the springs are still tight - but are just on the border of about to float, it stays in tune - I get no springy sounds through to the amp and find I can pull up just a fraction [if your entertaining people love it - after all, we play for enjoyment right?]

Anyway enough rambling - do as you like - just some suggestions - as its nice to have things operating to max performance!
iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any photos?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: