Pre -assembled/Finished Tokai Les Paul

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Udonitron

Reaction score
Thought some folks may appreciate this, excuse the crappy cell pics.

PSX_20150507_182904.jpg

PSX_20150507_182806.jpg

PSX_20150507_183221.jpg

PSX_20150507_183332.jpg

PSX_20150507_182016.jpg

PSX_20150507_182323.jpg

PSX_20150507_182602.jpg

Gives us some detail about it.

I presume the maple top would get sanded down to a smooth finish right? Or would they just apply lacquer at this point?

What's with all the strange marks in the control cavity, and the green looking marks on the maple top?

Is there a piece glued onto the back - kind of looks like there's a 1cm board glued onto the back, or is just the exposed grain causing an illusion?

Are you building this, or Tokai?

The dark spots?
Not sure, almost looks like stain or glue spots.
No glued piece on the back, that is a lip left from the router bit when rounding over the edge.
I bought this as you see it, the seller said it was bought in 1980 directly from Tokai via some sort of build your own/seconds sale they had.
I also have another one of these pre-assembled but unfinished as well however that one has had most of the sanding done on it already.

Udonitron said:
The dark spots?
Not sure, almost looks like stain or glue spots.
No glued piece on the back, that is a lip left from the router bit when rounding over the edge.
I bought this as you see it, the seller said it was bought in 1980 directly from Tokai via some sort of build your own/seconds sale they had.
I also have another one of these pre-assembled but unfinished as well however that one has had most of the sanding done on it already.
That is very cool - a 35 year old unassembled guitar.
The wood should be pretty seasoned and stable by now!

That is for sure.
Love how they serialized the neck tenons too but this would be eventually cut off once fitted.
Wonder if they were matched or similar to how the Tele's and Strats were?
I suspect they were random and used for dates and production batches but cool nonetheless.

PSX_20150507_181641.jpg

Udonitron said:
That is for sure.
Love how they serialized the neck tenons too but this would be eventually cut off once fitted.
Wonder if they were matched or similar to how the Tele's and Strats were?
I suspect they were random and used for dates and production batches but cool nonetheless.
I have no clue about the mystery numbering on the tenon.

Just realised, that will be quite a tough job to remove the extra wood on the tenon. It's too wide for the route isn't it?

Latest posts

Back