Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tokai Silver Star SS48 real?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therko
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Tokai Silver Star SS48 real? Reply with quote

Hi,
I wanted to know if this is authentic 80' SS48, and if You can, please give me some info about this model as I can't find any and what that guitar is approximately worth?

Seller put Wilkinson bridge in guitar, potentiometers CTS/Alpha, socket and switch by Switchcraft. Rest is stock.
He is saying that body is 3-pieces ash, neck is maple, pickups are stock Grey Bobbin by DiMarzio. Is he right?

Thanks for help
Reborn Old
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi therko, welcome to the forum !

It would be nice to see pics of body route + neck stampings to be 100% certain,
but the serial number is correct for a 1981 Silver Star, as is a 3 screw neck plate for SS-48 models.

YS 3 tone was a finish offered by Tokai on 3 piece SS-48's.

Sorry, no idea what fair market value would be.
Len
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good,

look at the back of the headstock, SS-48s have Schaller-style tuners.
The pickups will probably be original Tokai Greybacks but they are NOT Dimarzios.
Dimarzios only came with high-end SS-80s and had black bobbins.
ajory72
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tokai Silver Star SS48 real? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd agree with the others that you would want to see the neck pocket, it shoud have a round metal disk in the neck [bottom heel] and in the neck body route, which will have 2 grooves in the body to allow the 2 protruding fingers to be guided when adjusting the neck heel.

You should also find a stamp saying something like 7 = 16 on the neck and possibly 7 = 16 [then some letters designating colour] in a body route. The numbers are 7 = July, 16 = 16th day. Some times you will find descrepencies between days, in mid month I wouldn't expect it to be too vast a difference unless the neck was swapped out [these are vintage after all]

Lastly - those grey backs in the 1980's Silver Stars are as good as any other good strat pick ups out there. I have an 1982 Silver Star and is is 100% a pro soundign and playing strat. [Its my strat killer]

If you like 1970's CBS stratocasters but cant find one or afford one then these will fit the bill. Shame about the changes on the guitar, and I would say if the tuners sound a bit used just spray a little RP7 [motor grade lubricant] into them and moisten those gears a little

Enjoy

ps: make sure you see those details in the body/neck - there are some people out there selling non-original guitars, and often they just dont know what they have - not everyone opens up guitars - I know I never used to bother....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: