At last - a 59 neck ES100 - minor issue

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8bit Barry

Reaction score
I have just picked up an ES100 and it's fabulous. It's 2000, great condition and played in beautifully. It literally sings and I am stoked as I have been after a large neck 335 for a long time.

The only issue is the bridge is set in the wrong place, maybe 1-2mm biased toward the bottom E. There is loads of width still available especially looking up the neck towards the 12th and I was wondering whether repositioning the bridge is viable. It feels like the whole bridge could do with being wider with wider string spacing overall.

Another alternative would be to buy another bridge and cut new slots I guess, to counteract this narrowing.... can anyone give me their thoughts on this?

If it really is an issue of just 1-2mm in either direction then by far the cheapest, safest, and least destructive option would be to fit new blank saddles to the current bridge and have a professional technician cut the slots.

Personally I love the look of unplated brass.

Good advice already.

Moving the bridge posts is a pretty serious modification, and if not done by someone who knows what they're doing it could be a disaster.

It should really only be done on a guitar that can't be properly intonated and/or the compensation is wrong due to the location of the bridge. Even then the preferred solution is usually a wider body bridge with more intonation range.

IMO a new bridge with saddles notched to your liking is the best solution, unless you can just replace the saddles.

Thanks for all your opinions, really appreciated.

The tail piece position will cause the string to reach the adjusted bridge / saddles on an angle - will this effect sound or sustain in any way?

8bit Barry said:
The tail piece position will cause the string to reach the adjusted bridge / saddles on an angle - will this effect sound or sustain in any way?

I don't see why it would. Nobody seems to worry about it at the headstock end.

Paladin2019 said:
8bit Barry said:

I don't see why it would. Nobody seems to worry about it at the headstock end.
Ha ha ha :lol: :lol:

OP - it would only be a very slight angle and probably even less on some strings - right? Saddles should be cut accordingly.

Latest posts

Back