silver star pickup ID ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pickups are Alnicos probably made by Gotoh as were the Tokai Es,Us,Vs,V11s,11Vs,Hs and Ts.As for the production codes they are beyond my pay grade.YS means Yellow Sunburst.

thanks for the reply!
they are original then i guess?? I ll have to look for the 79 ss36 specs :)

I clearly remember a topic with a list with detailed specs of Silver Stars, I ve searched via google and the site and cant seem to find it!!!

This?

TheTokaiSSp6.jpg

I think that was it or something very similar!
Thanks felix ;)!
I quite like the pickups on the Silver Star... although I always read they are not good :p (maybe it's the fact that it's the first strat type I like playing!...killer)

Hi guys,

This pickup arrangement looks later than 1979 to me. The absence of black bobbins and the brass ground plate and grey unstamped bobbins would be around 1983.
The body however has the correct stamp for 1979 being in the front pickup cavity. Can you post headstock pics and backplate and end of fingerboard should have a number impressed ie '50'
What is the serial number for this guitar?

Peter Mac

At this moment I don't have other pics. The serial is starting with 9.... And there is a 36 number on the fretboard. I think its safe to say its a 79 ss 36. Do you think the pickups are not stock?

Hi guys,

By the sounds of it the neck is most likely a 1979, although the next 3 numbers are important also. eg: 9001xxx

To me, the whole scratchplate and pickup assembly are from a 1983 model, but it is SilverStar. The blue/black wiring confirms this.

Nice post, Felix. Where did you find that??

Peter Mac

its 9005 the first 4 digits

To me, the whole scratchplate and pickup assembly are from a 1983 model

what do you mean by that! Someone rewired it lets say in 1983???
What could the pickups be?

OK

What I mean by that is the whole electrical assembly (scratchplate, pickups, wiring, pots, etc) has been taken out of a 1983 SilverStar and put into the 1979 body you have there.
It is very easy to do and is more common than you think.

On the up side, it is still all genuine SilverStar - just from 2 different years.

Oh yeah - the body code 9=2&3 YS (and it should have a matching neck code also of 9=2&3 ) means a September build, production run 2 and 3. As stated before YS means Yellow Sunburst (3-tone sunburst)

Peter Mac

Hi - lovely Silver Star you have there...

I too reckon they are great players also, having just bought one. Does anything from Pink Floyd - SRV - even some Zeppelin (when Jimi used a strat )
The silver stat pickups you have look exactly the same as the ones in my 82', even with the wax pooled around the bottom of one - exact..!

Very versatile guitars and well worth every penny....

Latest posts

Back