V Neck Comparison

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimus

Reaction score
It's looking more and more like acquiring an ST-80 of my liking isn't going to happen without serious overreach. Thus I'm looking at the nature of the Tokai V neck with the idea of finding a Fender or custom version. I have an ST-60 with a V neck I love. What was this neck based on: the classic 50s, the 60s Fender, something else? It appears the Jerry Donahue model Telecasters have some version of this. There's the Clapton, the Warmoth, etc versions.

What say the experts?

[/img]

Grimus said:
I'm looking at the nature of the Tokai V neck with the idea of finding a Fender or custom version.

[/img]

I still haven't played a Fender with a "V" neck similar or as nice as my Breezy, and (to a lesser extend) my Springy (not pictured below).

Hi, mate - mine is somewhere around the second from the left or the last one on the right.
Hopefully that will help.

FWIW Fender didn`t make a vee neck strat with a rosewood board in that crucial period, which is why I ended up buying my ST80.
And I immediately lost interest in Fenders offerings.
I also had a local luthier reshape the neck of my Jap Squier Silver Series Strat bitza to the same profile. That`s a possibility too of course.

Hi guys,

Keep in mind that ST-80 R models did not always have a V-nuck.
The vast majority are 1964 'C' profile. It appears as a few of the 1982 ST-80 R do have a V profile and there are some indications that other years had them sporadically so buying any ST-80 Rosewood board model does not guarantee a V neck.

I have 2 maple V necks - ST-80 Tokai and Fender '54 RI. They are both quite different with the Tokai being a margin softer than the Fender and a poofteenth wider.

The most extreme V-neck I ever played was a CF Martin HD-28 pre-50's - it was like the one in the chart (L-R #4) The Tokai is similar to #2 and the Fender is #6

Peter Mac

Very interesting input, fellas. Thank you.

So the earlier ST080s....say 78-80 are less likely to have V necks? I have a ST-60 with a maple V neck. Believe it's a 1980.

The hunt continues.

1940`s 00021 - belongs to a friend in Nashville. Best Martin I ever played and it too had a really triangular Vee neck.
I bought MY 000 on the strength of that one guitar.

When I bought my 1980 ST80 in the shop where I worked, we got 6 ST80s and 2 Hard Punchers in on the same day, our first order. Also ONE "Mesia Zoom" amp. Wish I had bought that too!
All 6 of the ST80s were vee neck rosewood & white.
Both hard punchers also had rosewood boards.
Neck profile on the basses was more like the later 1960`s shape than the early flat wide ones.

Back