Which guitar ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calypso88

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum ( and Tokai ) and I'm just looking for a bit of advice on which Guitar to buy. Tomorrow I'm going to look at a couple of guitars with a view to purchasing one of them. One is a 1979 LS-60 Reborn ( cherry burst with exposed pickups, i.e no nickel covers ) in original and, judging by the photos, excellent condition. The other is a late model ( not sure which year but serial number starts with 14 ) LS-173, black or ebony finish, all original and in mint condition. The LS-60 is about $900 US and the LS-173 is $1150 US. Anyone have a view to which is the guitar to get ? Of course I'm going to demo both but with different amps and setups it's probably not going to be straightforward. Cheers.

Hi Calypso,

According to the catalogs, LS-173 does not come in Black - it's CS, VF, BS or Goldtop. The LS-113 comes in BB. Make sure because the differences are quite extreme,not to mention the wood and finish. All 3 guitars have a plain top - no flame.
Between them, there's a lot to consider. The LS-173 has better electronics and hardware and a lacquer finish whereas the LS-60 has matured wood but a poly finish. Both should have a hard case. The LS-60 should say Les Paul Reborn as opposed to Love Rock Model.
Between the LS-113 and the 1979 LS-60, I'd take the LS-60. If it's an LS-173, I'd go with that.
A 1979 LS-60 will have a serial number of 90065xx or lower - anything else is not 1979.

Peter Mac

Thanks, Peter. I live in Sydney too. Both guitars are listed in Gumtree at the moment if you want to check them out. Everything fits with your spec descriptions for both guitars. Interesting that you say the LS-173 doesn't come in black because the seller is adamant it is a LS-173. Is there a definitive way of checking the model number ? Cheers Peter.

Hi calypso,

Take off the back cover. The LS-173 has CTS pots and Sprague Orange Drop capacitors. The other model does not.
This is possibly the less intrusive way to tell, body should be 1 piece rather than 2 piece but with a black finish, it would be hard to tell.
Again, I have the 2014 Catalog and BB (Black) is not a colour listed for the LS-173.
I also checked the 2012 Catalog and found that it was the LS-160 then. even so, the LS-173 has been upgraded to include Honduras Mahogany body and neck and long tenon so it is an improvement from the LS-160. If he bought it new, there should be a warranty card with the model, colour and serial number listed on the card.

Peter Mac

are you in Sydney??

Hi Peter,
Yes I'm in Sydney, ( well Blue Mountains anyway ). I'm wondering if Tokai have different colour options for domestic and export markets. I notice there is a 2014 LS-173 listed on UK Ebay which is black as well. As I stated in my first post I'm new to Tokai guitars so am on a steep learning curve. I've always had a hankering for a good Les Paul style guitar and as a Gibson custom shop model is way above my pay grade my admittedly somewhat limited research suggests Tokai as the best option.

Calypso. P.S have you checked the Gumtree Sydney listings for the two Tokais ? There's some photos that might help.

Calypso, as Peter said you'd need to check the pots/caps for verification of an LS173, also that LS60 looks to be a three piece top which would make it an LS50.

Hi Mojo, thanks for that info. Well, now both guitars are dubious ! Did you have a look at the Gumtree listing ? My understanding is with older tokais that the model number should be stamped up near the headstock. Is this correct ? Cheers Calypso.

OK, Just found out it is a LS-50. These are still great guitars from what I can gather but I'm feeling a little bit deflated now so I'm not sure wether to buy.

Up to mid 1980 they have the model number stamped on the fretboard below the last fret, after that an oval sticker under the serial on the back of the headstock.

Sorry vintage guys, I went for the 2014 LS-173. It just sounds fantastic. I never got around to the 79 LS-50. Maybe it was a great guitar ( probably was - maybe I'll get one in the future ) but the LS-173 is the best hum bucking guitar I've played, certainly a big improvement on a Gibson 335 I owned for a while. Count me as a another Tokai fan.

Congrats bud! I havent had the pleasure of playing a vintage Tokai, but I have played new ones and they are simply put: excellent.

Peter Mac, I have a question for you, where do you see that the LS173 models are Honduras Mahogany now? I dont see that on the catalog.

Back