Korean les Paul - Identification

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucke Luke

Reaction score
Hello, got this guy with Gibson 498T and 490R. Once again, had it not been for the looks, you'd struggle to tell it apart... :)

If I understand correctly this is a 2008 Korean model. However could anyone help me out with the model number?

5 sec sound clip recorded with my phone: https://clyp.it/1q1wyk1k

IMG_9168.jpg

IMG_9176.jpg

IMG_9179.jpg

IMG_9180.jpg

IMG_9184.jpg

IMG_9186.jpg

IMG_9192.jpg

IMG_9195.jpg

IMG_9197.jpg

looks and sounds great, love them pups 8) vastly under-rated , unusually it's got black switch covers on the back, they're normally cream coloured on koreans.

jonah65 said:
looks and sounds great, love them pups 8) vastly under-rated , unusually it's got black switch covers on the back, they're normally cream coloured on koreans.

The strings on it at the moment appear to be at least a few decades old :lol: I reckon with a new set it'd be a joy.

Looks are okey if you take into account that it's a cheap model.

Are Korean made Tokais worse than Chinese? Or does it all depend on the model etc?

Here it is again vs LS200 :)
IMG_9198_2.jpg

every thing is subjective, chinese "better" than korean, i don't know, never owned a chinese, but the korean sg i have i actually liked better than the japanese one :-?
if you were gigging, how many of the audience would know if you were playing a chinese, korean, japanese tokai, or an american gibson?
the gallaghers (oasis) used epiphones as opposed to gibsons, would their songs have sounded better using gibsons?
you can definitely feel the superior quality of a japanese tokai over a korean,
but they both sound great.
what has the best tone, sustain, i don't know, how much does the amp change everything.
so many variables, i know what i like, but that doesn't mean you'd agree.
the early koreans were thought of quite well, but i think the chinese ones are now maybe just as good.
bit of a ramble, but do you get what i mean?

jonah65 said:
every thing is subjective, chinese "better" than korean, i don't know, never owned a chinese, but the korean sg i have i actually liked better than the japanese one :-?
if you were gigging, how many of the audience would know if you were playing a chinese, korean, japanese tokai, or an american gibson?
the gallaghers (oasis) used epiphones as opposed to gibsons, would their songs have sounded better using gibsons?
you can definitely feel the superior quality of a japanese tokai over a korean,
but they both sound great.
what has the best tone, sustain, i don't know, how much does the amp change everything.
so many variables, i know what i like, but that doesn't mean you'd agree.
the early koreans were thought of quite well, but i think the chinese ones are now maybe just as good.
bit of a ramble, but do you get what i mean?

By better I meant built quality rather than 'perceived' better.

I can't agree more that an audience wouldn't have the slightest clue and I am personally under the impression that it's the pickups that make up 90% of the sound. I'm not doubting that having a mahogany body versus alder would affect the tone to some extent. However, I highly doubt that anyone would be able to tell apart a Les Paul that happens to have a fancy one piece body versus a cheaper 3 piece model... let alone the glue used and so on...

I do get what you mean, however the way I personally perceive it is more about craftsmanship, appearance & feel rather than some magical difference in sound. I suppose you want it to be something you love.

Back