Hello! Can you help me date my Tokai collection?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upright7

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post! I have two Tokai Jazz sounds and a 70's Fernandes pbass parts monster with an 80's Squire neck that has been refinished to match the body with a Fender logo. Can you help me date them?

Here is the lot:

My favorite is the sunburst in the middle!
Jazz Sound serial #1013617 with 3 Screw tuners and a very thin rosewood fretboard. The flats have been on the bass since the late 70's or early 80's according to the previous owner. I think it is a JB45 and it has nitro lacquer.

My new acquisition.
Jazz Sound serial # L27005 model JB45.

The Red Fernandes Pbass body has a neck plate with the serial # L55125. The body has nitro lacquer.

Thanks in advance for any help in dating these!

[/img]

Sorry I didn't embed the pictures properly the first time around, I'm new around here!

Your sunburst jazz was made in 1982.The finish will be poly not nitro, as nitro was only used on the higher end models.

That's a 1981 serial number Gabe and could very well be nitro for the serial fits in a high end range.

:oops: My bad,Jacco.it can`t be a a 45 though if it is nitro though.Higher end model would have 4 screw machine heads ,no?

Thanks for the reply guys!
bluejeannot said:
:oops: My bad,Jacco.it can`t be a a 45 though if it is nitro though.Higher end model would have 4 screw machine heads ,no?
The Sunburst definitely has nitro lacquer and both Jazz Sounds have 3 screw tuners. All 3 basses have machine grooved bridge saddles that I love! Any idea what year the Black Jazz Sound is from?

The Sunburst is a gem of an instrument and I feel so lucky to own it! Here is a link to hear it on a recent recording if you are so inclined!
https://soundcloud.com/frazierband/moving-along-on-the-water

Back