Help Identifying Love Rock Model

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrnameless

Reaction score
Hi all!
I've tried looking for specifications on this Love Rock but I just don't know where to find them.
I found this in a pawn shop at what I believe to be a good price, but I'm not sure where it originated, how much they cost new (in Australia) and if it's real or not. It plays great and is pretty much brand new. There's no scratches and all the plastic film is still on the cavity plates and pickups. Just needs a good clean and a new set of strings.
I'm pretty certain it's legit, the build quality feels great and it's way too heavy to be basswood, any insights would be very much appreciated thank you! :D

Did a bit of searching, looks to be a Chinese ALS-48. Can anyone confirm this for me please? :)
http://www.tokaiguitarsaustralia.com.au/tokai_traditional_lp_style_als_48.html

100 % Chinese made Tokai for sure. What model and how much it could be worth i'll leave to the Aussie's.

jacco said:
ALS-48 sounds right. 2013 model. Flamed sycamore top and basswood body though.

what sort of tone do these models produce with the basswood body? Does it have that 'Les Paul sound' that mahogany LP's achieve??

jacco said:
ALS-48 sounds right. 2013 model. Flamed sycamore top and basswood body though.

From summer 2013 they made ALS guitars from African mahogany (African mahogany back, hard maple necks). But it can be transitional model from basswood. Or made until mid 2013.

How can I date when it was made exactly? If it was mahogany I think it would be worth it. I haven't held a basswood LP before but I think it is heavier than basswood.

mrnameless said:
How can I date when it was made exactly? If it was mahogany I think it would be worth it. I haven't held a basswood LP before but I think it is heavier than basswood.

No, you can't. According to serial number it's made in 2013 and that's all.
Tokai does not give such info for guitars which are manufactured in China.
In any case, this is a great guitar. Even if it's with basswood body. It has a sycamore top. Sycamore is basically maple.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_pseudoplatanus

Ahh okay, that's interesting they don't give such specifications on the serial number.
They do look like a great guitar, I might end up picking it up.

Hi guys,

They retail in Australia for around $500.00. Plenty of them on eBay.

Personally I'm not a fan of Basswood. It is a commercially grown timber and whilst it can sound similar to Alder, it tends to be soft and dents easily. Even a light drop on the end can result in the strap button being pushed into the body.
If you want a Les Paul sounding guitar, pay for the correct Mahogany/Maple combo with mahogany neck cos that's the only way to get it.

Are you in Australia? If so what part?

Peter Mac

Yep I'm in Australia, located near Brisbane.
I think I'll pass this one up if it's going to be basswood, might as well get an LP that sounds like an LP!

mrnameless said:
Yep I'm in Australia, located near Brisbane.
I think I'll pass this one up if it's going to be basswood, might as well get an LP that sounds like an LP!

The question is what is the true LP? Norlin era guitars with pancace body and maple neck was not true Les Pauls? There are many people who would disagree. Gibson The Paul was manufactured from walnut, and some of the first Gibson Les Paul Studio guitars was made with alder body. Listen to how the guitar sounds and only then do the decision.

One buyer specially went to our company from another city to choose ALS48. He wanted to be sure that it is made from mahogany :) He checked all ALS48 / ALS50 from our showroom and bought a NOS ALS48VF made in 2012. He liked it the most, even though it was is made from basswood. :)
ALS48 is not collectible item. If the price is good and it is suitable for you - go for it.

Hello. I am from Russia. Purchased in Japan guitar TOKAI LOVE ROCK. The former owner had killed her a little, but I helped her and now she is in good playable condition. Help identify the model. Looked inside, there should figure 60. Maybe this model 60? But according to the site, such as their Gold Тop was not. I hope you can help me.
Sorry for my English.

[/img][/url]

The Basswood LPs sound like LPs...I have both LS48 models in Basswood and mahogany.

Yes Basswood is soft and not a boutique wood, but that doesn't stop John Suhr from saying that a Basswood body with a Maple top is his holy grail of tone.
The best Strat I ever owned was a 1994 MIJ Fender basswood model.

I have one of these MIC Tokais from 2013, the one i have has a mahogany body with a thick maple cap with a veneer on top.

Hey!
I?m new here, so I don?t know how things usually go around here, but I need some help to identify this Love Rock.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a4qvdy3dsmk4ygx/AACLC1QZGWhtF7T764V92ngYa?dl=0

I?ve heard it?s MIJ, and the serial number is 9403844.
Any information is welcome:)

Why didn't you just start your own thread instead of hijacking this one?

Serial number indicates 1994 manufacture. The pics are terrible but it looks MIJ to me - 2 screw truss rod cover an MIJ bridge layout. The 1995 catalog lists the LS55 as being available in that finish, so that's what I think it is unless it has a bolt-on neck.

Oh, I?m sorry.. :oops: the page where I usually go ask for help, it?s good to use old threads:D

But thanks for the information! Today I?m going to go to see that guitar for the first time, so I don?t know if it has a bolt-on neck.. I hope not :D
What if it has a bolt-on? What model it can be? And does bolt-ons automatically suck or are those good guitars?

Back