What Did I Buy? Is it really an 1985 AST-50 Please help :-)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patchel

Reaction score
So I saw this on EBAY, and jumped at it for $400 US. Claimed to be a super clean 80's AST-50. The body and pickups look legit. But I have never seen the old style script ( looks like a "Springy Sound" ) on the newer export to USA style headstock.

Tokai1_zpsb7fifbxf.jpg

I wondered if it was a ebay decal applied to one of the other variants that used this headstock, ATS-56, TST-56, Goldstar Sound???

Tokai5_zps6alrscal.jpg

I really can't find anything that shows this headstock with this sticker, the ink looks legit at the truss rod?...

tokai10_zpsvky4tp1j.jpg

Looks nice, I took a chance, it will be here in a few days.....

Tokai4_zps1epuffia.jpg

I see newer pots and knobs, but the pickup look right, "E" stamps ( Love them !!! ) and the neck pocket looks legit too, any stampings are covered by copper...

tokai11_zps2casv1h4.jpg

Has the L serial number on the neckplate, that's a good thing , yes?

tokai7_zpsmgufhb55.jpg

It has the nice "DELUXE" tuners...

tokai6_zpsenhj1lse.jpg

But I do not think these are the cool " FINAL PROSPEC" Saddles.... Maybe not even the Tokai bridge ( I have one form an AST-62, but the saddles are missing on that one also... I also think this is not the tokai pickguard, only because both the tokais I already own have the lower left screw hole further out than the F3nd3r variants. This one looks too close to the tone control, and that part of the body is not shown..

Tokai2_zpsoxsbwzb7.jpg

I have received a lot of cool information from the moderators, and I welcome any thoughts on this. hopefully its not another "Bitzer", I sort of have two already. I posted about an AST ( sort of ) I built last year. I did find a nice mid 80's body and put my original TST-56 neck, I'll post about that in another post. Thanks to anyone who looks or has thoughts about this one, I am stumped.

OK, it finally got here. I know a little more than I did. Definitely has a refinish on the headstock. You have to hold it up to the light at the right angle, but you can see it in the waterslide is not original, and at just the right angle the top surface shows lighter color. From most angles, it's indistinguishable.

The body has a Tokai 11 screw pickguard at one time. I know Tokai pushes the lower left screw hole out a bit, so it has been redrilled there and at the other hole below the switch ( the one that never lines up going from 8 to 11 holes )

Not sure about the bridge, not the same as the three Final Prospec I have, steel block, it is a little longer, but interchanges with my Final Prosec block. I used the Final Prospec bridge.

I think maybe it's a USA Gold Star that started out with a 60's style pickguard? ...I have seen Goldstars with the plain saddles before. I'll post some more images. Goos news, it plays AWESOME! I dont care if it is mix and match, it just SCREAMS with the "E" pickups. I add some more images maybe someone can help me ID the thing, or the parts.

Body, with extra holes pickguard , no stamping ??

1_Body_zpstw2zofkp.jpg

Trem Cavity

1_Trem_Cav_zpsdenhqlud.jpg

Neck Pocket

1_Neck_pocket_zpsushpiuil.jpg

Head Stock Looks good in this light...

1_HS_LOOKS-Good_zpsew9xyelz.jpg

What's With the textured watreslide...

1_SKETCHY_zps6rpjg0ng.jpg

In this light, this angle, the logo area of the Head Stock looks reworked.. I think the shape is original? Export to USA type.

1_visable%20refin_zpsiaq4b9sr.jpg

Not sure about the bridge, I used my spare "Final Prospec" bridge ... even though it has F3nd3r saddles ..

1_Bridges_zpszzgqejkp.jpg

My Wife thinks I have a problem!!!!!!!

1_All_3_NF_zpsdawyuomi.jpg

Seriously, if anybody can help me with ID on this one... I'll share a post on the TST to the right soon, it's probably got the most right parts of any of them!..... I wont be offended if it is just a bitsa, it plays GREAT!!!!

The one on the left is the one form this tread. The one in the middle, I posted on last year. Funny how they all faded a little differently! Let me hear what you think, I won't be offended.

that's a beautiful sight, 3 great looking strats.
the one in the thread is surely an ast 60 though, E pups, what is the neck shape, slight vee?
8)

jonah65 said:
....., E pups, what is the neck shape, slight vee?
8)
Yes, it has a real nice fat Vee neck, A little fatter feeling than the AST - 56 in the middle. Thank you so much for your comments. I'll post an image of the neck shape soon. It playes REALLY well.

felixcatus said:
Congrats.
(I even would have bought it simply because of the Es.) :wink:

Thank you, yea, the E's are hard to come by, especially in the States. I have a blender pot on a set of E's on the TST-56 ( neck and bridge ) they sound great!

Do you guys thing the trem is original to the ATS-60? If so, I'll put it back on.

Left to right, AST-60 from the post, Middle ATS-56 "Bitsa", Right TST-56, 1984

Thank you both for your feedback,30 years, i'm still hooked !

Hi guys,

IMHO, I think it's a bitzer.
The 'L' serial and 11-screw body could mean it came from an ST-62, but you might need to remove the foil to check for a body stamp in the control cavity.
If it has an '=' between the numbers, it's pre-85 ; if it has a '-' (like the neck stamp) it's post-84. From the tremelo route, I'd place it around '86
The decal is an add-on but the neck is definately Tokai due to headstock shape.
Bridge, Tuners, brass ground plate and 'E' pups are all Tokai so all that is good. The pups though have been re-wired. I would check the output to amke sure they haven't been tampered with. Output should be around 5.7 Ohms, no higher than 5.9. The cloured wires are wrong for "E" - they should be Black & White wax cloth coverings.

Overall I gotta agree with felix - I would have bought it just for the pups also, hell. I would have bought it for the brass ground plate.
let us know what else you discover about her.

Peter

Here's a picture of the nice Vee neck I promised... for Jonah65

jonah65 said:
....., what is the neck shape, slight vee?
8)

IMAG1973_zpsqm9svr9r.jpg

Peter Mac said:
..... could mean it came from an ST-62, but you might need to remove the foil to check for a body stamp in the control cavity.
Peter

My curiosity did get the best of me so I pulled the foil. No markings on the body ( that's similar to the one from a year ago, bolted to an AST56 ) .. I suspect that it started life with a rosewood neck and an 11 hole pickguard.
( there's a body picture up further in the post)
The US versions I have seen are maple / 8 hole/ 50's ... or Rosewood / 11 hole / 60s. Agreed, I am happy I bought it. It plays and sounds GREAT!....

Thanks for letting me know about the trem. I'll have to put it back on.
Far, 84 Final Prospec, near, came with guitar...

IMAG1930_zpsyylo4u1v.jpg

The pickups are happy at 5.76 K ohms, and the 4 little circles on the bottom of the covers looks like my other originals! ( not sure what to do with the shielding, had a hard time de-soldering it!

5_76_ohms_zpsfu8lvvkj.jpg

IMAG1943_zpsabjqmw2a.jpg

IMAG1942_zps4f4nlwqj.jpg

You guys have been most helpful ! Thank you for the feedback, I'm gonna go jam out on the thing :)

L30691 serial number was a 1964 Fender stratocaster, these had 11 hole pickguards, and rosewood necks normally.
It would seem that yours has been modified, the body could have been re-sprayed, covering up the body codes, but must have been done a while back
because of the lovely fading of the paintwork.
I'd say it was customised to someones particular taste, done well though.

Decal is homemade for sure, you can see the gold paint pen swirls in it.
There is another manufacturer who makes their necks with that headstock shape but I cannot recall it now.
Nice Strats man, I had an ST120 Limited in Natural that was awesome.

Latest posts

Back