Burns Brian May

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nakamichi

Reaction score
Anyone tried one of these yet?? It's so responsive and inspiring to play. I knew I'd find a guitar one day that would give me all the things I love about Fenders and Gibsons all in one package, plus plus plus.

I played at a school reunion bash last week-end (Singapore 1965/8) and there were guitars there to die for - a 1962 Gibson 335 (complete with Gibson pre-Bigsby tremolo unit) that looked like it was made last year, a 1963 SG, all original, a new top-of the range PRS, a 1978 Gibson Artist, '64 Telecaster, and so on. My cheapie (?499) Burns blew them ALL away, not just my opinion!

Anyone want to buy a Tokai Love Rock and a US Fender Strat? I just don't seem to play them anymore...

I have promised myself to stay well clear of the Brian May guitar and so has a guitar playing friend. The reason - we both know if we tried one we would have to buy it. I have heard Brian May demonstrating the Burns guitar on a CD for Guitarist magazine, and with him playing you can't tell the difference between the copy and the original. He even said at the end of the demo "anybody want to buy a second hand home made guitar?"

Brian May could probably make a Futurama (remember them?) sound like a Red Special. I bought (cash) without haggling or trying it through an amplifier, to the surprise of the spotty salesman.

I have to admit to not particularly liking the wiring/switching - (I must find a way of getting series AND parallel sounds). It's so responsive and inspiring, I'm doing stuff I thought I'd forgotten years ago. A bit like a mistress, really, except that I'm going to hang on to this one!

Brian May could probably make a Futurama (remember them?) sound like a Red Special. I bought it (cash) without haggling or trying it through an amplifier, to the surprise of the spotty salesman.

I have to admit to not particularly liking the wiring/switching - (I must find a way of getting series AND parallel sounds). It's so responsive and inspiring, I'm doing stuff I thought I'd forgotten years ago. A bit like a mistress, really, except that I'm going to hang on to this one!

I like Brian,s sound.I was trying to get any Guild BM,but only could find a hardtail(Special model),but it was not for me.I have seen the Burns guitar,but it is made in baswood?.I can understand it.Cost reduce I suppose.But original model was made in oak(center) and mahogany,totally opposite sound.
It looks fine.

luis,

like me you're "tone-wood" aware and I had a Casio midi guitar that was made of bass-wood and it was a DOG. Very dull and unresponsive. The Burns is made from Korean Basswood and grade "A" ebony (fretboard) and has ceramic Trisonics. YUCK!!

One or two of my prejudices have been destroyed by this guitar. See? You CAN teach an old dog new tricks! I'd have bought the Burns if it had been made out of balsawood and egg-boxes, it's quite simply a lovely guitar.

And no - I'm not a Burns rep!

Anyway, since when has Oak been a tone-wood?

:0)

Nakamichi,a good sounging guitar is a good guitar whatever it was made,but I tell again that it seems a marketing affair.I will try one when I was able to find one here in Spain.I will tell my experience.

Hi Luis,

I hope you can find one and I look forward to hearing what you think about it.

Brian

Tried the latest model recently. Very much a matter of personal teste I'd say - but I wouldn't hold your breath. Obviously an odd sort of plank and feels decidedly midrange quality wise.

Not sure it's much to be excited about. But don't let me put you off! :roll:

Back