help on purchase decision, please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almostpilot

Reaction score
Hi
I apologize for the newbie questions, but I am new to the Tokai world.
All i know is that I heard a Tokai being played and was blown away. Plus i love anything made in Japan.
Anyway, I have to decide between a Early 80s Silverstar and a mid 80s Goldstar
I would like some help re the differences between the two (was one better quality build than the other? Was one more expensive than the other originally?) and any info that might make me make up my mind.
Here are pros and cons for each one (price not being an issue for me on these two)
Goldstar pros
i have played it, and oh it sounds so sweet
Can collect in person
Goldstar cons
Lacks a back plate
Is a bit marked, has a little notch on the neck, and various other beauty marks
Less collectable than an early silverstar?

Silverstar pros
Almost mint condition lawsuit era model
More collectable than Goldstar?

Silverstar cons
Not near me, so I cannot try it before purchase and check how it sounds
It is described as perfect... But you never know.
Will have to be shipped (possible damage)

Look forward to your comments!

Do you have photos, links, model numbers etc for both?
Depending on model number the Goldstars from mid 80's are excellent guitars and quite vintage accurate for the 50's 60's era. St 50 and up.
The Goldstars are not valued quite as highly as the early eighties Springy , but in reality that is because of the Spagetti logo - most would agree that the build, components and wood quality is the same.
The Silver Stars are very funky looking - and as I understand it Tokai improved the micro tilt mechanism of the 70's Fender era so that it actually was reliable! Again they came in a few model number variants.
The number on a Tokai represented the price in yen, so the higher the number the better the spec.
Price would be a deciding factor, I'm not really sure that the SS is more collectable or valuable than the Goldstars. Backplate is not really an issue as they can be replaced from an ownership angle, but it may help in negotiating price.

Okay
The silverstar is a SS48 serial 1013090
The Goldstar has L22640 on the neck plate and the shop has it as a 1984 model.
That is all i could find out. Hope it helps.

As Barks says, it really depends on the model number.
When the Goldstar Sound has E pu's (higher model number), I wouldn't hesitate.

Thank you
How can i find the model number? i asked the guy in the shop to tell me and all he gave me was the neckplate number which i know refers to the Fender model being copied.
Which TS no has the E pu.s?
Thanks all info much appreciated

Dont let the backplate hold you back either, i know its a personal thing, but i prefer my strat without it. It livens up the sounds to me.

st 40 has ceramic pickups (with the bar magnets on the back),
st 50 has 'U' pickups
st 60 has either 'U' or 'E' pickups

Unless they have been changed, you can identify the lower model st40 by the single cast bridge and the tuners with chrome covers.
The St 50 and above, have Kluson type with Deluxe or Tokai on them and bridges with a tone block and plate.
The rest is determined by pickups, number of pieces of wood the body is comprised of and sometimes colour etc.
Without the label it is tricky as many things could have been changed, but at least the ST 40 can be easier to identify.
Someone may correct me but I don't think a maple necked ST40 was ever an option?

Silverstars are undervalued in my opinion. You can get 1970's spaghetti examples for up to ?100 less than 1980's goldies. Better bang per buck if you just want a great guitar.

I agree the Suki, especially as the SilverStar is much better build quality than the Fenders they replicate!
I guess the undervaluing mirrors the same desirability between small headstock Fenders and their large headstock seventies counterparts.

When I was in Tokyo last year I had the opportunity to get a late seventies SilverStar for 20k yen - 3 tone burst, black scratchplate and rosewood neck. I so wanted it, but the LS160s goldtop for 50k got to come home with me!

jonah65 said:
hi barks, yes they did do a maple fretboard st40, i had one in bb, sold to suki,
great guitar. :D

I thought the jury was out on that one. It had Kluson type tuners and no evidence of holes from ST40 tuner types

stratman323 said:
A rough guide is:

ST40 - non-Kluson type tuners, ceramic pickups, 3 or 4 piece body
ST50 - Kluson type tuners, alnico pickups, 3 piece body
ST60 - as ST50 with arguably better pickups (maybe, maybe not), 2 piece body
ST80 - as ST60 but nitro finish
ST100 - as ST80 but possibly 1 piece body & probably gold plated hardware.

Thank you very much this is most helpful.
But what about a SS48 ? What type pu does that have? That is the silver star i am considering

Sorry, but that link is a bit too tech for me?
Can someone tell me if SilverStar SS48 has ceramic or alnico Pus?
thank you

Latest posts

Back