New Greco Strat - Fender Japan Body? Opinions welcome!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfman

Reaction score
I got this Greco-necked strat on Yahoo Japan a few weeks ago and when I took it apart I found out it may be a partscaster of sorts. I haven't been able to find any decent pics of early Fender Japan body routes so I wonder if anyone who owns or has owned Fender Japan JV strats might be able to compare to their guitars. Thanks for any info you may have.

Details:
It has a Greco SE-500 neck from later 81 or early 82. The body may be a Fender Japan as it has an FJ in black marker and what looks to be a 5 stamp in red in a circle. It has an 'ア' in the control cavity which is an 'A' in Japanese and I guess means Alder. Notice they never bothered to spray the red where the pickguard covers the lower horn!

It also has one Fernandes 'Revival' stamped bridge saddle and 5 Greco saddles.
The neckplate has a four digit number in a vintage Fender style and nothing else.

[

The electronics look like they are from 1981 from the pot codes. The bridge pickup has 31276 however the middle and neck have nothing. The bridge pickup has 4 eyelets whereas the middle and neck have 2 eyelets.

Cheers,

Wulfman

Thanks, I did check the resistances of the PUs and the bridge is 5.9 k vs about 6.8 k for the middle and neck.

i got a 1982 se 500 a 62 model it has the same pickups as this one
no numbers on the pickups .... the 81 models have 3xxxx on the back
so could be a 82 model ... i got squier jv too ... but they have a circle with a letter in sider the neck pocket ...try and look at 21 frets they have all about fender jv

all the best
otto

Thanks Otto! I think the electronics/pickups are Greco but the body must be from something else.

i could look for the se 500 from 82 ,,, and look inside the body ,,, the tremelo looks like it is steel not the normal zink.... on my greco from 82 i got
but i am not sure about the routing in the body ... i am thinking about the pickups and the small hole to the neck pocket ,, i see on 21 freats some of the early fender jv have that ,,,, and some dont

hi
the brigde pickup could be from a jeff beck model .. the model with 3 small switches ,,, they have this kind of pickups

Latest posts

Back