How to ID different models?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpringySound

Reaction score
Hey all,
How do you ID a particular model vintage Tokai?
Specifically, say you have a 60-64 type Gold Star ... how do you tell if it's an ST50R, 60R, 70R, 80R, 100R, or 120R?
Jazz Sound ... JB45R, 60R, 80R, 85FLR, 120R?

etc.

IIRC, originally the digits referred to the RRP, so a JB45R would have cost Y45,000, while a 120R would have been Y120,000, so the wood and appointments would have been different. But at this late date, how do you tell?

(Yes, I have a 1980 in my sights and I'm trying to tell the specific model ) :D

brokentoes said:
Here's a good start for you. Are you looking for a springy or ??
Thanks for the info -- I'm looking at a Jazz Sound bass actually. Wondering how to tell the difference between the different models.

EDIT: Found this. So it looks like the finishes are the easiest ways to tell the different models apart?

volume543.jpg

Hmmm, i don't read Japanese.... maybe try over on the Tokai Bass part of the forum. Good luck !!

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewforum.php?f=20

brokentoes said:
Hmmm, i don't read Japanese.... maybe try over on the Tokai Bass part of the forum. Good luck !!

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewforum.php?f=20
I do, but not from those blurry images unfortunately.
Cheers

Springy, each model usually comes in a range of colours. There may be a sticker on the heal of the neck that will have 50 etc on it but many of these were removed. Early starts were stamped in the fingerboard with the number but this only lasted a few years and not sure if it was done for basses.

Hi Springy,

colour will not tell the model as all models were available in a variety of colours.

Generally, the JB45 and JB50 will have been made the most, so they are the more likely to come up for sale.
1980 models should have a spaghetti logo first off and a 7-digit serial number, starting with 00xxxxx.
In 1980 the models offered were only PB - no JB models until 1981.
1981 JB models were JB45, JB60, JB80 and JB120. A fretless model was also added for an extra 5,000yen for the JB80 and JB120 and a natural finish for the JB60 and JB80 added another 5,000yen. A JB80 in Natural and fretless was a JB90 model.
Whilst it would be possible to have a JB with a 1980 serial number, it would be considered a 1981 model year as Tokai released their new models in November of the preceding Year.
Can you post a link of the bass you are considering?

Peter Mac

Latest posts

Back