Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tokai weight: LS98 vs LS260

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrius
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Tokai weight: LS98 vs LS260 Reply with quote

I've talked to some members here about this, so please don't take this as a sign of distrust or disrespect. I just want to get some more data on this subject.

I'd like to know whether current Tokai LS260 are lighter on average than Tokai LS98.
I used to own LS98 and it was pretty heavy (I tried two LS98 and an LS75 and I didn't feel any considerable differences between their weights). I tried several Gibson R9 and they were so much lighter. I also tried an LS420, and it was lighter than the 98 (although I don't remember by how much). So I know that each individual guitar may be of different weight, but it seems like they remain within certain boundaries between different price points.
It would be great if someone who has or had LS98 and LS260 could chime in with some info on whether one is lighter than the other and whether that difference is negligible or considerable.
Or someone who has tried LS260 and a Gibson R9?
Diamond
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On average Premium Series Tokais will weigh between 4 and 4.2 kilos...that's 8.8 to 9.4 lbs...give or take a few grams lighter or heavier.

Each guitar has a different weight...the only way you'll know is by asking for the weight of the guitar you want to buy.

I've had Vintage Series LS92 models that weighed 8.5 lbs and LC98/105/107 Customs that weighed 10 lbs...on average Vintage Series weigh under 10 lbs, some closer to 9 lbs.
Some professional guitarists/session players I've sold to refused to buy light LPs and specifically wanted heavy ones, some say the light ones have no 'balls' some say the light ones resonate better, have more sustain, less sustain, blah blah, etc, etc.

On average 9.5 lbs is a nice weight for a solid mahogany body LP.

Don't over think or over research, you'll just put your mind in a state of confusion.
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usual Tokai recent models would be inbetween 4-4,3 kg. usually.

Premium series are lighter or made with better wood (seaseoned or specie).
A bit over 4,2 does not mean a lesser quality guitar at all, I have a 4,3 LS320 I love and converted to vintage specs regarding harware and parts, it was worth!

I have owned and still own Tokai guitars taht light as 3,6-3,7 (LC-60 ans LS-50 for example) with a really good sound (the fit and finish Tokai got is excellent too). An LS-80 is about 3,8-3,9 kg. which is perfecto to me. But the best Tokai I own is the heviest of all I have tried and I can say it has all appointments regading sound and playibility a Les Paul must have, it will be in my possesion until the rest of my days so inspiring this guitar is.....
wulfman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They definitely vary. I had an LC-195 from 2012 that was 4.8 kg. That should be at the upper end of things. Here is an LS-460 that weighs 4.6 kg: http://store.ishibashi.co.jp/ec/pro/disp/1/10-315142909

Here is an LS-80 that is 4.5 kg: http://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop60/DS02628635/
Barks67
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2008 LS160s GT is 9.1 pounds.
My 1985 LS is 8.9.
Whilst not much of a difference on paper it is quite noticeable when worn over an entire gig.
Another excuse to post a pic just to promote how good these guitars are!

felixcatus
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC my 2009 LS95S weighs more than 10 pounds (I will look it up).
felixcatus
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5kg/11 pounds
Lucke Luke
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly my LS200 weighed 4.3kg
Olric
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My LS98 is pretty heavy too. Will put it on a scale to check the actual weight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: