Love Rocks nitro finish?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my info is that only 320 and older 200 loverocks are fully nitro. reborn LS-100 to 150 as well as earlier loverocks were only clear-top coated with nitro and had poly sealers. but there is some confusion about that even in japan, especially about the 120's (laquer or not, veneer or not...)

I recently refinished the top of my 1980 ls-80 (my 1st nitro sunburst finish), and I'm pretty sure the original finish was all nitro since it would melt in lacquer thinner right down to the wood. I also discovered that all of the color was in a tinted topcoat rather than staining the wood. I refinished with a combo of staining the wood, and tinting 1 of the topcoats; it really helped to bring out some figuring that I didn't know was there with the original finish.

I'm not sure how to insert pictures, or I would post some.

My 1981 LS120 is also very likely completely finished in nitro lacquer, because it starts to wear off down to the "naked" maple where my elbow rests. I think this is a typical sign of an aged nitro finish. It also has faded in these 24 years, because I remember it being darker at the edges (unfortunately didn't take pictures when I bought it in 1985).

The problem as always is that there are no Japanese forum members who could translate the early catalogs which could probably tell the story.

The problem as always is that there are no Japanese forum members who could translate the early catalogs which could probably tell the story.

the problem is that they perhaps don't want to share their knowledge with "gaijins" :lol:

Latest posts

Back