Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changes needed to registry for dating Fender-clone Tokais

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitar Registry Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratman323

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Changes needed to registry for dating Fender-clone Tokais Reply with quote

Two changes need to be made to the registry to correct what seem to be errors or omissions

First, the registry gives the impression that in 1983 only block decal Springys were made. In fact, a few posts on the forum over the last year have confirmed that first Springys & then Goldstars were produced in 1983 with the block decal. The registry, as the only reliable source of information about Tokais, needs to reflect this.

Second, the registry gives the impression that the modified headstock shape appeared in 1984. This thread (and other posts over the last year) seems to reliably confirm that 1985 was the first year that the new headstock shape appeared:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=77864#77864

This is not just an omission, the information on the registry is actually misleading. From personal experience (I bought one and still have the receipt) I can confirm that script decal Goldstars were on sale in London in December 1983.

Could the registry be amended to reflect these facts please?

Thanks,

Mike
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump - is anybody there?
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
Bump - is anybody there?

Who handles such requests? Ned?
ned
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I got it. Just saw the thread.

Do me a favor if I don't get this fixed by Monday remind me again. I've got 2 gigs this weekend and one is out of town so I might not get to this but it needs to be done. I've got rehearsal tonight so it will probably be tomorrow evening at the earliest.

Thanks for doing the research it's greatly appreciated.
Porsche 911 Racing
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ned. As always on here, the research was done by the members posting details of their guitars, and moving our education on a little further.

Enjoy the gigs.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:

Enjoy the gigs.

Have a Roman Holiday
ned
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're wedding gigs so they can either be a lot of fun or suck hard.

Fixed the page.
Porsche 911 Racing
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ned wrote:
They're wedding gigs so they can either be a lot of fun or suck hard.

I hate wedding gigs. The cash is nice but you're almost obligated to try to play the requests the guests (or God forbid, the bride) asks for - But I recall you guys have a pretty extensive song list

"Celebrate good times, c'mon!!...."

Have fun.
mrsuspend
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have access to a 1983 catalogue (on vintaxe.com) with "US modified" headstocks and the 7okai logo.
Sorry to confuse the issue but as far as I can tell Tokai ran the two headstock designs concurrently for many years.

/Magnus
Marshallmk1
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: I'm confused... Reply with quote

I'm trying to date an ST50 goldstar, I checked the dating chart and in the 1982 section it states that gold stars had the script logo through 1983...but in the 1983 section it states that they had the block logo through 1983. The 1984's had the script logo but according to the registry a 1983 could have either the script or the block logo...is this just a mistake or did Tokai really produce the same guitar in 1983 with two different logos...??? This would make it impossible to date a goldstar to 83 or 84...!!!

I realize that this is a similar question to the original post but the registry information still seems to be misleading.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Tokai used both block and script logos in 83 confusing isn`t it? Gabe.
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
it's not that confusing when you take into account that 1984 models were released in Oct 1983 for general sale.
Block logo Springys would be on sale in late-82 - E'83 : Block Goldstar from E'83 to L'83 and script Goldstar from L'83 -on.
SO the Model year ran from Oct - Sept ; not from Jan - Dec as most seem to think.

The altered headstock was up and running by late 1982 for the US market only. I have a copy of the 1983 US catalogue which clearly shows the TST-56 and TST-62 with altered headstock.

regards
Peter Mac
lodger001
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Block Logos on Springy Sounds Reply with quote

Some years ago I bought a Springy ST50 (Ser No 12679) from a chap who was the original owner. He had kept all the documentation including the receipt (now in my possession), which is dated 29 October 1982 from a music shop in Portsmouth (UK).

The Registry website http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-fender.html under the section "Tokai Manufacture Date Chart" states that the Block Logo was used for Springys in 1983. This is not correct since the Block Logo must have been used from late 1981 to early 1982 for stock to have been available in UK from October 1982.

In addition I have just bought a 1980 Reborn Old LS50 complete with the original gig case. This also has a block style logo embossed in the cover.

Since this website is taken as a reliable source for dating Tokai guitars, please add notes to the dating chart to indicate at least uncertainty if not categorical proof that 1983 is not the date these were being manufactured.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitar Registry Feedback All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: