NGD LS-80 "Reborn Old"

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duaneflowers

Reaction score
Behind a Badass Lester Somewhere in Japan
Just in...

LS-80a.jpg

LS-80b.jpg

LS-80c.jpg

LS-80e.jpg

Very nice example and in great condition, by the looks of it Duane. Congrats !
Was that the LS-80 listed on J-Guitar a week or two ago ?

Reborn Old said:
Very nice example and in great condition, by the looks of it Duane. Congrats !
Was that the LS-80 listed on J-Guitar a week or two ago ?

I didn't notice the one on J-Guitar... this one was "briefly" on Yahoo Auctions...

It is in great shape, as is the original case... the case that came with my LS-120 was in terrible condition... but luckily the guitar was not. :D

If you want new tuners, I would think any kluson set off eBay, Stewmac or AllParts would work. Yahoo for newer used.

Yes, they would work .. I'm pretty sure.

I have a set of 1960 Gibson LP tuners that these Klusons would replace,
and both vintage Gibson + Tokai have 23.3mm tuner mount screw spacing, center to center.
AFAIK only gear ratios have changed. British + Metric shaft sizes might vary slightly.

A pair of these should be fine. I used them on an LS-100 with no mounting issues.
http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f141242122

Why are you replacing them? If they are not factory tuners, then the holes may have been reamed out for modern hole diameter?

I put a set of Tone Pro Kluson style tuners in my guitar that had been slightly reamed to accept Grover Rotomatics. They work great.

Sigmania said:
Why are you replacing them? If they are not factory tuners, then the holes may have been reamed out for modern hole diameter?

I put a set of Tone Pro Kluson style tuners in my guitar that had been slightly reamed to accept Grover Rotomatics. They work great.

One of the tuning pegs on my LS-120 is a little loose. It works perfectly and keeps tune just fine but it was like that when I got it. I don't know anything about the mechanisms or gears inside but I'd like to preserve them as much as possible. So I want to replace them and keep the original set in case I ever decide to part with it... which I have no plan to do as its a magnificent guitar!

duane, the posts in old Tokai turnesr is slightly fatter than recent Gotoh Klusons ones.
I have put Goldo by Gotoh ones with Deluxe stampedletters and it fits altough not an exact replacement. I have to replace one in my 1996 LS-320 converted to 59 specs (hardware and plastics) someone forgot to mention it was not OK. A 70 and 80s will fit in OK.

If you have calipers its easy to figure out. Just measure your hole.

Most listings will give you the diameter of the bushings or posts.

Finally had a chance to give this little darlin' some attention with a few mods...

I haven't swapped out the PCB yet, but its on my todo list. Rather it had 50s style wiring but today I was more interested in toanz.

Out came the green chicklet caps and in went a NOS Sprague Vitamin Q .022uf in the Bridge and a NOS Sprague Vitamin K .015uf in the Neck. Recently I like that combination and it sounds especially sweet in this rig.

Out came the Goto Patent Applied For HBs and in went a set of THP Area 59 Hysteric PAFs. Together with the new caps and a new set of Dimarzios this baby is officially ready for prime time.

Eventually I'll get around to replacing the PCB, but until then this is the sound I was after. A vintage sound. killer playah and a beautiful top... what more could you ask for?

Deaccis and the new tuners are going in the 120 next weekend... hopefully... :lol:

wulfman said:
Good to hear. I had no issued putting them in.

Had a cancellation so I had a chance to put on my scrubs...

The tuners worked like a charm... nice and tight, compared to the old ones which acted their age. Thanks again for the recommendation!

I haven't swapped out the PCB yet on this one either, but its also on my todo list.

Out came the green chicklet caps and in went a pair of Orange Drops. I tried a couple different combinations but these seemed to match the pickups best.

Out came the Dimarzios and in went a set of Deacci Pure Vintage LP59-Zeros. These were originally slated for my Redeye but didn't have the vibe I was looking for there. They sound really great in the 120 though. They have the Ed King colors (ZB/WW) so they look kind of cool as well!

Again, along with the new caps and a new set of Dimarzios this baby should keep me satisfied for quite some time.

Beautiful board on this one as well... tremendous playahs!!!

Latest posts

Back