84 goldstar tst 6o find

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plaintop

Reaction score
Hi all, just took delivery of a near mint ( small dent on top)tst 60 black maple neck goldie with only 4 rusty strings.i have checked this out , lifted the scratch plate to find a totally original set up E stamped grey bottom pups with cloth wire are these Demarzio? still with the 3 pos switch .Neck is a big soft v shape,has the 60 and mij stickers on back of neck heel .frets have no wear ,body looks to be 3 piece you can see the grain thru the very thin finish. I have only one other guitar in my collection that is as loud unplugged as this strat a that is a Edward lp double cut 6 & half pound jnr.Keith Richards Dice copy. I got this in the original tweed case( wait for it )off evil bay under 500 aussie $ i have thanked the guitar gods my best find ever.the lady that sold this said no body else asked any ?s and she posted no pics of the back so i guess the moral of this is dont be afraid to get as much info from the seller as possible If anyones interested i will try posting pics soon cheers

I remember seeing that auction, I was tempted but i already have one black Tokai springy, went for a decent price though. Pics!

Good score!The E pickups on your guitar are not Di Marzios.The Di Marzios have black bottoms and were fitted to St 80 and above,although many 80s and above were fitted with E pickups. Gabe.

Who made the gray bottom pickups? Have been meaning to ask.

Thanks!

Hi all, thanks for the feedback on the pups in this st 60 ,when i saw they had cloth covered wire ,i thought usa. i did however dig up a Tokai catalog from the 80s its vol one traditional series ,The first page has all strats pictured on the left 54 -58 right 60- 64 vintage models. this cat is in english and for the tst 60 (54 model) it states solid alder contoured body ,maple neck( 54 v)_single st- vintage pickups.the rest is about pickguard controls ect, the specs for the tst 80 do say pups are demarzio vs-1s all other specs the same as the 60. so i guess i answered my own ? but i always thought cloth wire = usa, So who knows. If any one wants some specs from this catalog it covers the TTE TPB- TJB- TLS TLC TSG TES TFV TEX MODELS. i still intend to post pics of this guitar when i can. cheers

Hi plaintop,

Just wondering what part of Sydney you live in. I'm at Ryde?

This 1984 Catalog is already in the Catalog section along with many others should you care to venture to that section of the Site.

The pickups are not DiMarzio, I actually think they're better than the VS-1. Those 'E' pups are quite sought after due to the tones they make. Overall it is a very good score. Congrats.

Peter Mac

Killer guitar, great score.

I'm looking for the same thing to turn into a Gilmour, just add a black scratchplate. 8)

Back