Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SS500 (SG Special) owners?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emiel
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
Bacchus does/did:

http://bacchusdo.com/product/bsgspcr.htm

That looks perfect! Are they easy to find (and if neccesary, shipped to Europe)>

soundcreation wrote:
Yeah here it is...

They come up every so often on yahoo japan auctions. Mostly the mint collection....obviously cause they were made for many more years.....but even the super reals come up now and again.

And with the SS500 I don't think it really matters with "super real" vs mint collection because the "hot licks" pickups were always made by fujigen anyway. Basically you get fret end nibs on the Super Real and the bell truss rod cover.

I prefer nitro finishes too but honestly this greco poly is so good I barely notice a difference.

Cool! I haven't found any for sale recently in Europe, they seem very rare. Would be buying one in Japan be the only option you think, and any idea how much it would cost including shipping and taxes?
soundcreation
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really been following them for a while. But it seems to me you'll see them average out at about 1 or 2 every 3 to 6 months. It really depends though. There are stretches where there aren't any and then you'll see like 4 of them in a few weeks.

I can't help you with shipping and taxes....that totally depends on your country. But in terms of cost from Japan......I paid just under 50 000 yen for mine but that was about 6 or 7 years ago.

The on and off tracking I do on them over the years tells me they haven't changed that much. Super Real's might be up around 60 now and Mint collection around 50 or so....depending on condition of course.

Shipping costs from Japan depend on how you buy it. If you go through a third party purchaser like Rinkya it will be a bit more than if you find one direct from a store.

Thankfully they are really light guitars. Shipping costs will probably be somewhere around 150 US??? People can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I think mine ended up being closer to 100 US for the shipping.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
Bacchus does/did:

http://bacchusdo.com/product/bsgspcr.htm

That looks perfect! Are they easy to find (and if neccesary, shipped to Europe)>

They pop up every now and then. Here's a previous ebay listing that went for a ridiculously affordable price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bacchus-SG-BSG-SP-Special-P90-Lacquer-Super-Clean-made-in-Japan-922-/131256161939

And one that was sold here on the forum:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=19301&sid=b1aa4c69d3f19972c967cfc45e2dc29e
Emiel
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again! I have to say, the Greco looks most interesting as I have a fetish for old Japanese guitars (currently owning two old Tokais). I haven't read any review/first hand experience with the Bacchus, so I think I will start looking for a Greco SS500 after all!
Skipper Tail
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Greco ever was a lefty SS500 from 1979. It's a humbucker guitar, sandwich body, thick and wide neck, just awesome.
Emiel
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for chiming in. I just continued searching for a (higher end) SG Special type of guitar. In case anyone has tips, leads, let me know!
Koubayashi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a bunch of both MCs and SRs.
They are alright but I'd go an extra kilometers to grab a vintage Gibson.
I have had no Japanese even close to my old vintage SG Specials.

When it comes to SGs, just go vintage cause they are so much better.

The price is obviously higher but get a player with changed pups and maybe a neck repair and your looking at a reasonable price.
They are simply that much better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: