VanZandt STV-R1 Strat on the way

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just arrived yesterday! Noodled around with it a little last nite.

Ishibashi shipped it set up perfectly and with 10's on it (I'm an 11's guy but these feel so great on it, I may keep them).

The super thin skin nitro is amazing - you can see the swirly Ash grain patterns right through it. Some nice long checking is starting to appear. A few bumps and chips on the edges but that's going to happen anyway. Much to my liking, it's a brownie two color burst rather than black (the brown is very dark but there's no mistaking it for black).

Neck is great. C profile that's not too thin and not too chunky. Frets are in great shape too.

Has Vanzandt True Vintage pickups in it and they sound real nice. The neck pickup is clear, bell like and not muddy at all. Bridge is real spanky (almost Tele like) but not like an icepick. The middle pickup is pure Anson Funderburgh.

So far, I'm pretty happy. I'll put some additional pics up when I get a chance.

Yeah... can't seem to put it down. I like everything about it including the 10's it came strung with..... makes me realize how much more work the 11's are for just a negligible bit of beefier tone (which can be compensated for with volume and amp EQ).

The wait was annoying me - didn't get here til over a week after it arrived US Customs in Chicago (most times, guitars from Japan via EMS/USPS arrive within three days of shipping).

My worry is that I was going to have to go to my Dallas post office to sign for it and get tagged for duties on it - that's only happened to me once but it was about $100 additional.

With most of my guitar pals being familiar with Van Zandt pickups wound here in in Texas, this guitar will be quite the topic of conversation.... given that there is no real connection to Van Zandt other than the pickups in it.

marcusnieman said:
The current MIJ Fender goods come out of the Tokai factory don't they?.

The current MIJ Fender guitars come from Dyna Gakki. As I understand Fender Japan contract with Tokai ended in 2008-2009. Btw, from 1997 all made in Japan export models come from Dyna Gakki. Tokai made Fender guitars for domestic market only.

Had a peak under the hood:

Looks like it was born on October 5 of 2005:

Loaded with Van Zandt True Vintage p'ups, CTS pots, an Oak-Grigsby switch and a big ole orange drop cap..... all good stuff. Top shelf build and a joy to play:

Back