AST 100

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hekdiesel said:
Yeah, it seems from a quick look to the catalog that anything above a 100 series will have a lacquer finish, but how is that different than nitro-cellulose (if it is different)?

Tom Anderson, John Suhr, PRS, none of them use Nitro, companies that use nitro today all have plasticisers in their nitro and most have a poly undercoat.
In fact, Fender have been using "Fullerplast" since 1963 which is used for sealing and pore filling before topcoating with nitro or another finish.

So in other words, what you're saying it that none of the premium guitar manufacturers are using nitro-only finishes?

I just want to get a handle on this, because theres so much (mis)information out there, that it's hard to reconcile it.

More questions!!!

Today I was out on a strat recognizance mission, and played Tons of strats from American standards to vintage reissues to artist series (no custom shop stuff).

Essentially I found out that I hate the "modern C" fender neck, I don't like the "v" neck, and the "thick C" neck on the John Mayer signature strat was pretty nice.

With that said, does anyone know what kind of neck comes on the new AST100 88 and 70 models? And also do the have vintage slim frets or what do they come with?

No AST models come with thin Vintage frets, they have medium sized frets...huge improvement over the thin Vintage frets.

The necks are not chunky, they're modern C shaped with a 9.5" radius.

Really?

It's not even like a "thick C" like the john Mayer strat?

That kinda blows, I was thinkng about getting an AST, but the modern c necks are sooo toy-like to me. darn it!

Diamond said:
No AST models come with thin Vintage frets, they have medium sized frets...huge improvement over the thin Vintage frets.

The necks are not chunky, they're modern C shaped with a 9.5" radius.

That means they're pretty much comparable to American Standard Fender, right? Can someone confirm that's true?

Now AST/ATE F/B have radius is 240R (240mm), its about 9,5"
But some AST/ATE guitars have radius 300R (300mm), its about 12"
It depends on the year of manufacture and the specific dealer requests.
Sometimes the specification depends on dealer wishes. They are very flexible on this matter.

Keep in mind that Japanese manufacturers use metric tools, and so the real dimensions are slightly smaller. For example if they wrote that the radius is 240R (240mm), this means that it is 9.4488". 300R (300mm) radius its 11.811" Some say that they do not feel the difference. I feel it. Try to compare Fender American Vintage 62 neck with 7,25" radius and Fender Japan ST-62 neck with 184mm (7.2440" ) radius.

Back