Love Rock origin help needed before I buy!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossDG

Reaction score
Should have joined the forum ages ago already owning a '84 springy. Anyway I have been after a Love Rock for some time and have found what is being sold as a MIJ with the serial number 9061775. However the truss rod cover has 3 screws - so my assumption is it is not MIJ, the owner cannot find "Made in Japan" anywhere on the guitar (or Made in Korea). Am I misreading the serial number?

Looks like violin finish, sort of amber colour. Very good condition.
Any help really appreciated.

Unless the truss rod cover is not original and a past owner screwed an extra hole for the new cover...... 3 screw trussrod cover means NOT MIJ.

Until around 2003 ?? the Made in Japan stamp did not exist on Love Rock models. See if you can't get the seller to send more pictures, you never know how the next person will modify their guitar.

Well the reason i ask is that a trussrod cover is easy to change, whereas the Tokai MIJ serial impression would not be, and neither the Korean Tokai's nor Chinese serial's are impressed the same way as Japanese Tokai's. One good picture of the serial number would seal the deal on this one for sure. It has the export "dimple" and i'm not familiar with all the variations those models have. I'm pretty sure all MIJ Love Rock Tokai's have a 7 digit serial number though.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-single-cuts/182681-help-me-date-identify-tokai-love-rock-lp.html

Seems it is ALS Chinese 2009!

Maybe in the UK the bridges don't lie, but in North America here we see all kinds of strange Tokai's, Mostly fake but there are some that are 100% MIJ real, made on purpose to be a little different. Here's one up on the local classifieds just for an example.

22j6vp.jpg

2vd086f.jpg

Ahhhhh! Too many variables. Anyway I have told the seller no - I do not see how a 1990 guitar, which has been used/hanging in a studio still has protective film on various parts, and the 3 screw truss cover looks like a Tokai one rather than a later replacement. Too good to be true at ?300. Still do not understand the serial number issue, but inconsistency seems par for the course! In fact my Goldstar Sound from 84 does not have one on the neck plate, but does on the body and neck (hidden away inside...

Latest posts

Back