Real or fake tokai springy sound?!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosseinvf

Reaction score
Hello everybody

I'm new here. I've found a guy who has put an electric guitar for selling. He claims it's a Tokai Springy sound ST-60. But there are a few things that doesn't make sense about this guitar to be a real Tokai! I've put some pics of it. The first thing is that it's got no serial num on its back plate. The second one is that the dots on the fretboard are so small. Personally i haven't seen any other Tokai Springy sound with such small dots.
I looked in some of old Tokai catalogs from 78 till 85. but None had such small dots on fretboard. and also none of those rosewood fretboard ones had 22 frets. They all had 21 frets!

Can anyone please help me find if this Tokai is real or fake?

1z6vd08.jpg

vmzmtj.jpg

34zg3dj.jpg

v8llxu.jpg

Sorry, dude

IT'S A FAKE.

Wrong logo - too large and extra line ??? WTF
Wrong position markers - much too small, should be larger.
Wrong neckplate - too narrow, should not have 'MIJ' stamp. - TOTALLY WRONG
Wrong fingerboard profile - should be concave, not flat.
Wrong scratchplate and covers for pre-CBS guitar - should be white
Wrong number of frets - NO SPRINGY HAD 22 FRETS

Nice body though, but I doubt it's Tokai built. If you could take off the scratchplate and take a pic of the routing, I could confirm that. Also a better pic of the headstock closeup would be good too.

Peter Mac

Peter Mac said:
Sorry, dude

IT'S A FAKE.

Wrong logo - too large and extra line ??? WTF
Wrong position markers - much too small, should be larger.
Wrong neckplate - too narrow, should not have 'MIJ' stamp. - TOTALLY WRONG
Wrong fingerboard profile - should be concave, not flat.
Wrong scratchplate and covers for pre-CBS guitar - should be white
Wrong number of frets - NO SPRINGY HAD 22 FRETS

Nice body though, but I doubt it's Tokai built. If you could take off the scratchplate and take a pic of the routing, I could confirm that. Also a better pic of the headstock closeup would be good too.

Peter Mac

Thanks a lot peter for the reply. Unfortunately this guy is in another city far from me and he's just put these pics in facebook. I had a chat with him in there and he said its price is 500$. He said he's repaired the logo by himself! He is actually a guitar repairman as well. He imports old Japanese guitars from Japan and repairs them and then put them up for selling.
I'm gonna ask him tell me more about this axe.

Hi

It would be of help if you would list what city/country you live in also. Helps Members who are closer to you to help out.

Whatever the reason he may spout, it is not a Tokai.
The size shape and screw postioning on the neckplate are not from a SpringySound or any other Tokai for that matter.
Tokai Custom and Limited Edition strats did have the small inlay markers but not til after '84, which is past Springy Sound era (1977-1982)
At best this is a Partsocaster which may include some Tokai parts - but it is NOT 100% Tokai.
Where is this guy who is trying to sell it?

Peter

Peter Mac said:
Hi

It would be of help if you would list what city/country you live in also. Helps Members who are closer to you to help out.

Whatever the reason he may spout, it is not a Tokai.
The size shape and screw postioning on the neckplate are not from a SpringySound or any other Tokai for that matter.
Tokai Custom and Limited Edition strats did have the small inlay markers but not til after '84, which is past Springy Sound era (1977-1982)
At best this is a Partsocaster which may include some Tokai parts - but it is NOT 100% Tokai.
Where is this guy who is trying to sell it?

Peter

I live in Iran. I don't think anyone in this forum comes from Iran! This guy lives in Tehran. Here is his ad post in facebook about this Tokai :
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=pcb.385393914947222&type=1
I guess it is a partsocaster too. I'll chat with him again and ask what exactly this axe is! I hope he tell the real story behind this guitar!

.I wouldn't count on it. He probably doesn't really know either.
As I said before, ask him to take a photo of the routing, the pickups and the headstock. This would give us an idea of what parts may be Tokai - if any at all.

If you want a genuine Tokai, there are quite a few in the Classified Section of the Forum. At least we can verify the authenticity. If you are heading to Australia for the Asian Cup, you could get one here and take it home also.

Peter

Peter Mac said:
.I wouldn't count on it. He probably doesn't really know either.
As I said before, ask him to take a photo of the routing, the pickups and the headstock. This would give us an idea of what parts may be Tokai - if any at all.

If you want a genuine Tokai, there are quite a few in the Classified Section of the Forum. At least we can verify the authenticity. If you are heading to Australia for the Asian Cup, you could get one here and take it home also.

Peter

He said he'll send more pics of it as soon as possible. He also said the pickups are original tokai U stamped grey back.
I'll put the pics here when he sends them.
Wish i could come to Austalia and take a nice tokai with me.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back