DRY Z Crushers!!!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Declan.... so we can get them uncovered and have the covers shipped with the set? Obviously, the cost will be for covered pickups.

Dug around a bit for the factory specs of the pickups that came with my Bacchus. I'd forgotten that the bridge p'up magnet was ceramic while the bridge was Alnico V. Here's what they are - what is your initial impression?

Neck Pickup BHV-A5
Magnet: Alnico 5
Wire: # 42 enameled
Number of turns: 5,300
Resistance: 8.5kΩ

Bridge - BHH
Magnet: Ferrite Wire: # 43 Polyurethane
Number of turns: 7200 inner bobbin, bobbin outer 7300
Resistance 14.7kΩ

Wanting to brighten them up, I replaced them with Peter Florance Voodoo 60's - with an Alnico III in the neck and Alnico V in the bridge. Output on these are rated at 7.6 - 8.3K. They sound okay.

For the record, my favorite HB pickups ever are in my 91 Greco SA64-90 (ES335) - a set of their The Groove pup's. Ceramic magnets if I recall correctly and they just sound great. Snarly but clear and articulate (might also be due to the semi hollow body too - nothing like that sound either)

You didn't ask but I've recently had 3 new Bacchus and I'd have to say the PU's they are using suck. And that's my sophisticated expert opinion. LOL You are in for a treat with this upgrade. I had put Dr Z's in the Bacchus and it was a huge improvement. And now this is an improvement over that. :>) Lets hear it for the Irish!! :>)

Marcus, they are probably fine pickups for metal, it's an area of the spectrum.I haven't dabbled in enough as I feel much less qualified to know what is supposed to sound good. I haven't played with ceramic on lower winds at all, A8 is my current most powerful magnet and the Macha is the highest output pickup I currently wind, so wouldn't be fair for me to criticise but it sounds like you might better appreciate the brightness of a much lower wind in that guitar. Correct me.if.I am wrong, but your Bacchus is basically. LP standard construction ?

No prob sending covers separately, I'm not.going to get precious about the pickup covers being.soldered, I can send a strip of gum with them, which you can place over the bobbin if you choose to solder the covers on later. Its a simple and.effective way to avoid cover microphonics without potting them.

Slainte

Declan

For me it's all about clarity and musicality. If I want super hairy metal tones I will get them but with the clearest possible front end. When you start with articulation in the beginning you are always much better off and will ultimately get a better sound no matter what you are after. Providing of course you can play. With articulation comes a larger discernment of technique and musicality. Now having said that more articulation also forces you to become better. So it's a win win. The thing with these pickups is not only are they articulate but they are also musical. They capture a deeper feeling of the music for me than the Greco's. It's one thing to have it super clean and clinical but yet another to have it defined yet still musical. I have no idea how Declan did it but I can tell you one thing for sure. He dug deep. And was extremely focused. You would have to do to get this result.

Obviously it's all subjective of what we like and what we expect "that sound" to be like. Myself, I'm a blues guy and I don't play with many pedals or effects (other than tremolo and reverb for my amps that don't have them). I'm looking for that open, woody, honky Les Paul tone..... here's a good example in the intro this song from the Allman Brothers' first album. Wait for the solos and you can hear both Duane and Dickey play (I still don't know who is playing which solo because there's no slide on it). One is obviously on the bridge and the other on the neck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szdKx9O31A0

Declan, yes the Bacchus LP is is a typical Les Paul build. One piece back, solid top. Weighs about 9 lbs.

Order in. Thanks!

I needed a set of pickups for the solid top LS80/100/120 whatever it is. I love the Jaurez wound Seymour Duncan 59 that is in the bridge. It's sounds really crisp on chords and still meaty. Will keep that pickup for sure, but at these prices I figured I would experiment since a previous owner had already changed out the original pickups.

I got a set of double cream and a set of zebras. Couldn't decide.

Can't wait to get my greasy paws on them. Thanks!

marcusnieman said:
Obviously it's all subjective of what we like and what we expect "that sound" to be like. Myself, I'm a blues guy and I don't play with many pedals or effects (other than tremolo and reverb for my amps that don't have them). I'm looking for that open, woody, honky Les Paul tone..... here's a good example in the intro this song from the Allman Brothers' first album. Wait for the solos and you can hear both Duane and Dickey play (I still don't know who is playing which solo because there's no slide on it). One is obviously on the bridge and the other on the neck.

Declan, yes the Bacchus LP is is a typical Les Paul build. One piece back, solid top. Weighs about 9 lbs.

sounds a bit like peter green to me marcus, specially the 2nd part of the solo
on the neck pickup.
just my 2 cents :D

Yes sale prices on Deacci.com are finished( just checked)..............but.......Mr Deacci (aka Declan) in a previous post says offer will be extended to end of October..........(hopefully this is the case as I fancied a set of LP59 Two's).............can this be confirmed by the man himself?

I've got a bit of a dilemma as to which ones to go for... (if we can still get the sale prices..)

Got:
SG with Gibson 57's (Neck and Bridge)
Explorer with Gibson BB3 in Bridge(8/9k ohm) and 57' in Neck
LP with Bareknuckle Abraxas (Neck and Bridge(14k ohm)).... but I prefer the EX with BB3 in bridge (more clarity it feels), and so would like to swap the LP pups for something, perhaps more distinct from the other two.

Any suggestions as to which ones? Some lower output vintage ones? (or would it make it too similar to the SG with low output 57's)

jonah65 said:
put a 498t & a 490r in the sg, it'll sound great. :D
Well, I just thought I could try the Bareknuckle Abraxas in the SG.

"Gibson?s 490R pickup carries an Alnico II bar magnet, while the 498T carries an Alnico V bar magnet. "

... Abraxas "Utilising the same sand-cast Alnico IV magnet as The Mule, the Abraxas humbucker provides similar breadth and detail across the mid range but with considerably more power. The 43 AWG plain enamel scatter-wound coils"

Have you tried SG with both 57 and 498?

I've emailed the company asking if it'd still be possible to order a set at sale prices. Fingers crossed.

FYI,

got an email back saying that the sale is running till the end of October. Apparently it was a technical booboo.

Prices seem to be back to what they were yesterday.

http://deacci.com/pickups/pure-vintage/

Sorry folks,

When sale was set to end on 30 September I thought the software would use midnight as opposed to first thing, giving me 24 more hours to change it to the new October 31 date.

so human error as opposed to technical, all fixed now !!!

Declan

Lucke Luke said:
jonah65 said:
put a 498t & a 490r in the sg, it'll sound great. :D
Well, I just thought I could try the Bareknuckle Abraxas in the SG.

"Gibson?s 490R pickup carries an Alnico II bar magnet, while the 498T carries an Alnico V bar magnet. "

... Abraxas "Utilising the same sand-cast Alnico IV magnet as The Mule, the Abraxas humbucker provides similar breadth and detail across the mid range but with considerably more power. The 43 AWG plain enamel scatter-wound coils"

Have you tried SG with both 57 and 498?

I've emailed the company asking if it'd still be possible to order a set at sale prices. Fingers crossed.

hi lucke, yes i've tried the '57, and it sounded dull compared to the 498t.
let us know how you get on with the abraxas in the sg.
it's all subjective, these deacci's sound interesting.

hi lucke, yes i've tried the '57, and it sounded dull compared to the 498t.
let us know how you get on with the abraxas in the sg.
it's all subjective, these deacci's sound interesting.
Should be interesting. One thing left to do. Which Deaccis for the LP. Is it just me or is ordering pups always such a pain in the butt :)

Leaning towards vintage two at the moment. The differences are so subtle!

Myself, after chatting with Declan, leaning toward the Green Faze (with non reverse wound bridge) or the Ones.

Yeah, so many choices.... I hate shopping for pickups. Most of my Tokai humbuckers stay unchanged (57 PAF's and MKII's) because I love how they sound. Have had great luck with Greco's "named" (Dry, Screamin, The Groove) pickups too.

marcusnieman said:
Myself, after chatting with Declan, leaning toward the Green Faze (with non reverse wound bridge) or the Ones.

Yeah, so many choices.... I hate shopping for pickups. Most of my Tokai humbuckers stay unchanged (57 PAF's and MKII's) because I love how they sound. Have had great luck with Greco's "named" (Dry, Screamin, The Groove) pickups too.

What's the reasoning for fancying those two sets?

This is the sound I'm after:

And Declan recommended the two sets. I'm keen on the Peter Green set (similar to the Ones but Alnico 4 magnets) but I'm not wanting the out of phase mod.... he said I can get the bridge non reverse wound - which ought to sound awesome because the bridge and neck pups alone sound great to my ear.

Latest posts

Back