Recommended hardware to record to PC

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hekdiesel

Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't done home recording in about 10 years, so I wanted to know if you guys have any recommendations as to what setup I should use.

Here's what I have:

Windows 7 laptop
MB Mk5:25 amp
Shure SM57 and SM58 mics

So, what I want to do, clearly, is to mic the amp. What I need to know is what you guys use/would use to get the mic(s) into the PC at a decent quality. It's going to have to be some sort of USB device, but I dont know what's goodto sue.

Hey,

You will need some sort of Audio Interface. Price range is usually probably from ?50 to ?150.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/12-of-the-best-budget-usb-audio-interfaces-570850

I got myself an Akai EIE Pro on eBay... I believe I paid about ?120 for it. I imagine most of them will do the job as well. It comes down to the amount of inputs/outputs/midi and so on. I heard that the Mackie Onyx Blackjack is meant to be the best, but I simply liked the design of Akai the most. Old school :)

I can either mic the amp and plug it into the interface... or what I've started doing recently is plugging the guitar directly into the interface and using Guitar Rig 5 for playing or recording. The simulations are surprisingly good and you can play as late as you want if you live in an apartment.

However, you may want to check the PC/Laptop spec requirements if you plan on using Guitar Rig.

Yeah, this is what I am looking for, thanks.

Do you feel that there is any sound quality concerns when you go through one of these interfaces? And does price tend to dictate how good the captured sound quality is?

It's my first audio interface and so I have nothing to compare it to. I imagine the price would affect the build quality, but I do not know if it directly affects the sound quality, rather than just the overall ease of use/longevity of the unit.

I suppose in the meantime, you could think what features you would need. Number of inputs, is midi input required and so on. That may narrow your selection, following which you could read up some reviews? Or... we may have someone in the forum that has more knowledge! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mackie-Onyx-Blackjack-Stereo-Mic-Preamp-and-USB-Interface-with-Carrying-Bag-/281447698258?pt=US_Computer_Recording_Interfaces&hash=item4187970f52

However, there is something attractive about toggle switches or is it just me..

I like the multiple inputs, so that I could do 2 mics on the amp, and even take the guitar directly, sounds like fun!

hekdiesel said:
I like the multiple inputs, so that I could do 2 mics on the amp, and even take the guitar directly, sounds like fun!

I did think it's quite a nice feature to have 4... that'd cover multiple microphones, or perhaps even another person.

Doesn't take up much space, just sits there :)
eie.jpg

Yeah, I'm going to keep an eye out for an AKAI, unless someone has a better suggestion. I am asking someone at work who is an Audio engineer, but he may be playing with a different level of gear and laugh at me.

hekdiesel said:
Yeah, I'm going to keep an eye out for an AKAI, unless someone has a better suggestion. I am asking someone at work who is an Audio engineer, but he may be playing with a different level of gear and laugh at me.
Let us know how it works out.

I think in many cases, the smaller units are simply versions of their bigger units (for example the mackie onyx)... but just with less inputs. Nothing to laugh at!

Latest posts

Back