• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS: 1979 Tokai Les Paul Reborn LS-120 OS w/ case

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drasp

Reaction score
1979 Tokai Reborn LS-120 in OS "old sunburst" finish.

This is the most incredible Lester I've played. Previous owner pretty much nailed it:

"that 120 is/was the best mij lester i've played/owned, ever. hands down no ********. . .whoever buys that 120, will not be disappointed."

Right at 9lbs, perfect balance, perfect chunky '59 neck profile. Single piece body, thin veneer top (spec for LS-120). Came to me all original except the pickups & case which I've since sourced (not easy!) so it now ALSO includes the pictured DiMarzio PAFs & brown/pink Lifton style Tokai case. That means correct double ring "Tokai" stamped tuners, trc, brass saddle TOM, PCB, etc. - all in flawless working order. Currently set up to play beautifully with .11 DR Pure Blues wrapped over the tailpiece. Guitar is very clean, has exactly the right amount of little dings & nicks, chip on the bridge tone knob & a small chip on the pickup selector tip (fixed w/ glue, works fine, rock solid) - all stuff that reminds you you're playing a ~35yr old guitar from one of the most desirable years of the MIJ "Golden Era". The reason I'm not asking $3k plus is that this guitar previously suffered a headstock break & was repaired by Chicago Fret Works with an absolutely GORGEOUS triple cove cut repair that literally replaced all wood at the break from three different angles, smoothed things over perfectly & blended the finish. The ONLY way to see the repair when holding the guitar is to use a flashlight at the correct angle where you can see the pins & new wood. The repair is SERIOUSLY a work of art & was a big part of what drew me to the guitar. Receipt for this work is included in the case & the work itself is lifetime guaranteed.

Gallery from the previous owner showing the guitar as I bought it AND the repair work:

http://s182.photobucket.com/user/gregs1020/library/LS120%20LP%20Reborn%201979

And some pix of it as it sits today:

79_tokai_ls-120_a.JPG

79_tokai_ls-120_e.JPG

79_tokai_ls-120_g.JPG

79_tokai_ls-120_i.JPG

79_tokai_ls-120_j.JPG

79_tokai_ls-120_k.JPG

79_tokai_ls-120_l.JPG

79_tokai_ls-120_m.JPG

79_tokai_ls-120_o.JPG

79_tokai_ls-120_q.JPG

SO, why am I selling? Sadly, I'm just not in a financial position right now to have a guitar this nice. Simple as that. I actually just sold my 1964 Fender Jaguar, previously my "#1", so making some deep cuts, but 'tis all good - plenty more fish in the sea, etc.

$2250 shipped & PayPal'd

javamusic said:
Aren't all LS-120 solid maple tops? Mine is.

Most are not. Only a handful have been verified as having solid tops - according to Tokai's specs from that period, the LS-120 was flame veneer & the LS-150 was solid. TONS of threads on this subject, and TONS of folks who swear their LS-120 is a solid top until they post pickup cavity shots & someone points out where the grain doesn't match up. They were *VERY* good at matching the seams, so you can't just eyeball it there, have to look for the flames to actually transition from the top to the slab. . . of course I'm not saying anything about YOUR guitar. Only that mine looks like a sold top until you get REALLY close, then you can see where its veneer.

I see, and I thought from Ls-120 to Ls-150 onwards all LPs had solid flame top.

I've got a set of Seth Lovers from a Navigator in this guitar right now, just lovely. . . make an offer!!!

May also consider a trade + cash for the right light weight Tele.

Latest posts

Back