Spec & model confirmation

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucke Luke

Reaction score
Hey there,

I recently got myself an explorer and I seem to be enjoying it more than the LP, so I wanted to ask for your help in clarifying its spec/model before it goes for sale.

A fellow forum member mentioned that the model number should normally be written in the pickup cavity. However currently I am not wanting to take the strings off as do not have any spares, but might do very soon. The guitar also has a dimple in its headstock (UK import?). I believe this may be a negative thing among some?

It was sold to me as an LS200 (I believe, LS160 in spec, but with a AAAAA maple top instead). When I purchased, it already had non-original Gotoh Magnum locking tuners and Bareknuckle Abraxas matched set (no originals provided). I've also installed Dunlop locking strap buttons (not seen in photos). I do have the original plastic truss rod cover (black), and pickguard (no holes drilled into the body).

It's in the same nick as when I got (which is when most photos were taken), minus some sweat maybe :)

Serial: 0921702
Spec: ?

Will try to take some more and better photos tomorrow, but I never seem to get any light here...

Would you also be able to tell me what I should be asking for it? (You're not allowed to underestimate if you're planning on buying it!) :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

20140724_060458.jpg

IMG_4583.jpg

IMG_4585.jpg

That's beautiful. I'm sorry I'm not here to help (not knowledgeable enough), just admiring that beauty.

The main thing is to determine whether it has a one piece back as all Premium models do,
or a 2 piece back with a center seam like most Vintage models do.
Another clue would be CTS pots found on Premium models (which have recessed centers vs flat bottom pots found on Vintage models), assuming pots are original. All Vintage series flame top models feature flame veneer over a maple top cap.

You can download Tokai volume 26, which is the same as 2009 vol 25 here: http://www.theguitarshop.jp/service/catalogue.html
All specs are listed in English.

If it does have a one piece back and you still aren't sure whether hardware and electrics are Premium or Vintage series,
the other test is to determine whether the top is veneer or solid by looking for "pickup cavity wall" to "guitar top" grain line, flame and center seam transitions.

If you still aren't quite sure what to look for,
if possible, post sunny pics of the back showing grain lines around the lower strap button and/or
evidence of pickup cavity wall to guitar top grain line and flame transitions.

Thanks for the input :)

I have added some more pictures. I believe the back is a one piece, although due to the grain of the wood it is a bit misleading. I struggle to understand what exactly you mean when you say "recessed centers". It appears to me that the top and the bottom is completely flat? I have attached a photo as straight-on as possible, although I'm sure there's some perspective distortion anyway. I have been told by another Tokai dealer in the past that it was a limited edition and had to be ordered from the dealer and that it was not in the catalogue. Someone else pasted an extract stating that it had LS150 spec upgraded with a 5A maple top. I tried finding the source of the pasted text, but came to a dead end on google.

I will try to take some pics of the cavities when I take the strings off. It's on my to-do list :)

Also, how do you guys usually ship such instruments? I presume insured for the full amount and wrapped up with love? :)

This is what the LS160 (used to be LS150 I take it?) spec is from that catalogue:
Tokai_LS160.jpg

IMG_6321.jpg

IMG_6322.jpg

IMG_6323.jpg

IMG_6324.jpg

IMG_6325.jpg

IMG_6352.jpg

IMG_6327.jpg

IMG_6328.jpg

IMG_6333.jpg

IMG_6342.jpg

IMG_6351.jpg

IMG_6357.jpg

IMG_6358.jpg

IMG_6363.jpg

IMG_6364.jpg

IMG_6367.jpg

IMG_6368.jpg

IMG_6369.jpg

IMG_6370.jpg

IMG_6371.jpg

IMG_6372.jpg

IMG_6373.jpg

IMG_6374.jpg

IMG_6375.jpg

IMG_6376.jpg

IMG_6377.jpg

IMG_6378.jpg
[/img]

It could be an LS200, the flame looks like maple rather than sycamore.

The acid test is to see whether that grain lines on the maple top line up inside the cavity. This will show whether the top is solid.

Lucke Luke said:
Thanks for the input :)
I struggle to understand what exactly you mean when you say "recessed centers".

Hi again Luke,
Sorry, I should have checked 1st ... modern Tokai CTS pots are in fact flat on the bottom like yours, instead of recessed at centers like these:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR06sq8XF3Edna1vAbSYJQAalat03j1E0X7_G83bM4Sj1C5sXVWrA

Because yours has a ULS "export" center dimple headstock, if the back is one piece as it appears to be in pics (grain angle would probably diverge slightly at the lower strap pin seam if the back were 2 piece) and the top is indeed solid, as it appears to be, it was almost certainly imported by Richtone music UK as part of a bulk order of ULS-150 F's before they stopped distributing Tokai guitars.
These varied in top grades. I would say the grain + flame on yours looks a bit more defined than the one in the linked thread posted above this post. It still wouldn't hurt to check next time strings come off.
Purchased on an individual basis they would have cost a bit more in Japan with open book head stocks. There were a number of similar LS-195, LS-200 + LS-250 domestic non catalog offerings in Japan equipped with Sprague orange drop capacitors in 2009 + 2010, but again, all with open book head stocks.

Hope this helps.

Here is the control cavity of my LS160s GT.
The neck volume and tone controls are the CTS type that Reborn mentioned. These are after market, the bridge controls are original to the guitar - though I want to replace them to be the same. All the wiring is original bar these two pots and silver cap.

Aha, thanks again.

It does look like the one that settebello pointed out. Although the flame is nowhere as epic as this one :lol:

Seems like I completely misunderstood what you meant with the pots... pictures helped at explaining it :)

Do people usually look down on Tokais with the dimple headstock?

I will add some more pics when I take the strings off, but other than that, it seems we've got it mostly figured out.

You'll have to use the search function. But, there was a batch of 2009 LS150's that had 4A Canadian maple tops instead of the 3A that was spec'd for them. They made a big splash initially, and now show up from time to time. The more highly figured top is a bonus.

I suspect that is one such specimen. Lovely top.

Some photos of pickup cavities;
- Appears to be a two piece, solid maple top, rather than just veneer?
- Neither of the cavities seem to hold the model number :( I can see some writing in the neck pickup cavity... in the form of an "S A" or "S N" or even "5 A" ,but that may be my eyes seeing what they want to see :lol: Perhaps it used to say LSxxx but the other letters/numbers decided to disappear? :)

IMG_6385.jpg

IMG_6389.jpg

IMG_6390.jpg

IMG_6393.jpg

IMG_6396.jpg

IMG_6400.jpg

What does the text say?
what_is_it.jpg

what_is_it_2.jpg

Looks like a solid, non-veneer top to me!
You can clearly see the continuation of the grain from the cavity across the top face - especially in the third picture.
Definitely a quality piece.
Those letters look like 5A.

Barks67 said:
Looks like a solid, non-veneer top to me!
You can clearly see the continuation of the grain from the cavity across the top face - especially in the third picture.
Definitely a quality piece.
Those letters look like 5A.
Phew, so it's not just my eyes fooling me :lol: I'm glad... as I was starting to think I got fooled :)

In which case. Is it fair to say this is a 2009 LS200 with 5A?

Latest posts

Back