Tokai LC "Diamond" Headstock Variations - gallery

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitd

Reaction score
Hey all you Tokai enthusiasts.
Is there a gallery or a database for the several headstock varations
throughout the years. Especially for the Les Paul Custom ones and
the custom "diamond"?

Apparentely there are some outthere that feature the diamond nearly identical to the gibson custom shop one
as well as some models with another line in the middle bar of the diamond.
Around what period of time were each of them produced?

1983-89 have the same TRC cover (Tokai original pointed bell shape as on 1981 and on LS) and not a bell shape as showed in the pic. The pointed" TRC is almost the same as 1981-82 but the lines on the edges are slight (ver slight) different.

A diiference would be some 81-83 have a kind of volute instead of the tipical stright back headstock-neck joint.

Awesome Info thanks!

So is it possible that a LC which serial number clearly depicts its from '85 has got this type of headstock?

1989-1994
5_zps7f23d9ac.jpg

Yes that is possible.
I have seen that type of diamond on export models and I believe also on some Tokai made Grandy's from 1985 on.

So, we have two different TRC on LS/LC in 1984-85, I have never seen one as far as I am not in UK market .Interesting!

Hey Jacco, my LC100 from '81 has the traditional split diamond inlay.

P1010960.jpg

Yes, the blank headstock LCs from 1980/81 are inkies, these are parallel production, I should have written that the normal diamond inlay is also up to 1981.

Thanks Jacco, I will post some LC pics when I was able to found them.

Regading these LCs I have noticed some variance in weight from 3,6 kg to 4,5 kg. (a 1978 I recorded on my notes).

jacco said:
Something like this:

1981-1982

My 81 "inky" Wine red custom has that headstock design although the inlay on mine looks far more "figured" than the one in your photo.. Also has "snot green" tuning pegs.

note: catalog headstock depictions differ from actual product in some cases (particularly 1986-1999)
Edited with minor date range changes :
1978-1981 Hamamatsu

1980 Nagano inkies

late 1981-1982 Hamamatsu, late 1980 + 1981 Nagano inkies

1983-1985 Japan, 1995-1999 Korea

late 1985-mid 1999 Japan

mid 1999 - to date Japan LC's + Korea/China ALC models

SteveDoG said:
jacco said:
Something like this:

1981-1982

My 81 "inky" Wine red custom has that headstock design although the inlay on mine looks far more "figured" than the one in your photo.. Also has "snot green" tuning pegs.

Just wanted to add something I noticed a couple of days ago. This particular headstock design is almost identical to the Gibson Les Paul Artisan .

hi. Does anyone know how to tell if it's a Japanese or Korean guitar?

Attachments

• TOKAI_HEAD.jpg
    TOKAI_HEAD.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back