Tokai Newbie Love Rock question from a Gibson convert

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, things are moving...

Ishibashi has mail and I just got the call on the local guitar. Heres the scoop:

Looks like a two piece book matched flamed maple top, but is laminate upon inspection. Back is two or three piece, definitely more than one. Old headstock, late 50s spec neck joint. Its not a 'Reborn', headstock says 'Love Rock'. Original brown gibson like hardcase. Nice refret. No LS model number anywhere and I forgot to ask for the serial number :oops:. Pickups have been replaced with some kind of Gibson pickups, but this was expected since it had a real set of PAFs in it when i played it last. Very lightweight.

Asking price is high, but this exact guitar winked at me nearly 10 years ago when it wasnt for sale. In the back of my mind Ive wanted one like it ever since. Im going to look at it Friday with cash in hand.

shuie said:
No LS model number anywhere and I forgot to ask for the serial number :oops:
Did you see my reply in the ebay alerts board? It's a 1988 Love Rock because of the serial number "801...", a 1980 starts with "00....."

Thanks Hans. I did see that. Thats not the same guitar. Thats one I found by calling shops listed in Vintage Guitar magazine. The top and back do almost seem to match the description of the '88 guitar on the alerts board. I'll get the serial for the local guitar and repost it tonight so i can learn what it is.

Ishibashi also responded to my mail also confirming that the Matte Brown Sunburst finish will not be available for another few months.

Okay, I just bought the local guitar. Serial number syas its an '84. Plays real nice. Back is definitely 3 piece. Just a hair under 9lbs on the scale. Pics are on the way.

Thanks again for the help and your patience!

Here is is!

DSCN40371125105335.jpg

Sorry, still learning how to add light, etc, with Photoshop. Whatever I did made the flame look more pronounced than it really is. Color is Cherry Sunburst. Plays very nice.

shuie said:
Whatever I did made the flame look more pronounced than it really is. Color is Cherry Sunburst. Plays very nice.
Congrats, looks almost like my 1984 LS60 (e.g. the pickups with a bit smaller pole pieces) except for the "vintage" switch selector tip. What's the full serial number (just to compare), mine's 4020848? By the way, it weighs 4.1kg with better scales which I got today (so forget about that ~3.5kg from my bathroom scales). And you really paid that $1,900 for it? :-?

The pickups are Gibson stock. When I tried to buy it years ago it was loaded with real PAFs. The guy removed those when he sold it. These were apparantly what was laying in the shop when that happened.

Full serial number is 4020756. Its not as lightweight or as resonant as my '58 reissue was, but its better than my Les Paul Custom was. its a really a nice guitar. As nice or better (definitely plays better) than any current regular production les paul than Ive picked up in the stores.

No, I didnt pay $1900 for it. The $1900 guitar was one that I found somewhere after calling all the shops in Vintage Guitar magazine. I knowingly and willingly paid too much for this one, but I didnt pay $1900.

Back