• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB: MIJ LP with 58 style neck.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0b1liz3

Reaction score
I am looking for a long tenon, nitro finished MIJ LP with a fat neck.
Some people perceive their guitars as fat necked but I will need measurements with a caliper just behind the 1st fret (not including the strings).

The goal is basically to find something similar to the 58 Gib custom shop 58 reissue without having to pay out that kind of money.

Measuring_neck-thickness.gif

The long tenon & nitro finish combo will make it automatically an expensive MIJ and only limited options.

In the vintage (pre 1985) section I believe there's only high end 1980-82 Aria Pro II, high end 1982-1985 Greco and high end 1981-1985 Navigator with long tenon & nitro. Fat neck for Greco's only in 1982 and Navigators not quite yet during that period. Aria's I don't know.

Recent MIJ with long tenon & nitro are high end Tokai, Bacchus (although these have a nitro top coat over poly) and hand made guitars like Navigator, Momose, Crews etc. Of these I only know of Navigator that makes them with fat necks. But Navigator is a custom shop product and probably even more expensive than an R8.

The only brand I do not have experience with is Orville by Gibson. That might be a possibility.

Good luck with the search!

I heard Momose is close to the Navigators in neck thickness.

I thought the earlier Bacchus Classics were nitro. Now I understand why the sticker says "top lacquer".

Would an oil finished Bacchus be similar in tone to a nitro finished one?

As a matter of fact I do regularly play a 1999 Bacchus BLS-120 in oil finish for my band mate owns one.
This particular one has a very thin 60s profile (the reason my mate bought it), finish is uber thin. Can't say if it would sound different when finished in nitro, though the few Bacchus I have played all have a stringiness to them I don't like.

Beautiful Bacchus, I think they are the best alternative unless money is not an issue. Here is mine.

Both of those Bacchus LPs look pretty sweet. Haven't seen any of the earlier ones for sale. Almost impossible to get people to actually measure the neck thickness on their guitars I have discovered.

m0b1liz3 said:
Almost impossible to get people to actually measure the neck thickness on their guitars I have discovered.
Even though I made a smart arse comment on the other thread, I do sympathise with you.

The last thing you want after browsing through loads of auctions (and getting answers to questions that leave you with more questions), is to find the right guitar (colour, specs, year, condition etc) and when you get it in hand the neck is like a hockey stick.

Unfortunately most people don't have one of these vernier calliper gauges.
I recently purchased one to try and take some accurate measurements of my LS-100 to help me find a new ABR for it, but if I hadn't needed to do that I probably wouldn't have got one.

pics of said ls100 please
want to compare it to my own in time-honoured schoolboy fashion :)

My Bacchus is locked away in storage and I don't have any calipers. Suppose I could buy some (non metric of course). Lemme see about it. Can also measure my 2009 LS150 neck.

Oh, and thanks Wulfie..... the top on yours is insane. I've been told that the first run (up to #500) Classic Series had spectacular wood. What's the serial number on yours?

That one is H01240 from 2012. There were some great batches they did as you say. I am not sure they were all super but there were some good ones to meet everyone's taste in flames.

Measured my 1982 Greco EG59-85 Mint Collection (top), and 1980 Greco EGF-1200 Super Real (bottom).

14115107746_2048c79fed_c.jpg

1982 Greco EG59-85 is 3/4" (24/32") neck thickness at the first fret, and nut width of 1 11/16"

1980 Greco EGF-1200 is 3/4" (24/32") neck thickness at the first fret, and nut width of 1 3/4"

Very interesting, as I thought the 1200 had a larger neck thickness (feels like a '59 fat profile) compared to the 59-85 (feels like a '60 slim profile).

I guess it is actually the fact that the 1200 has a wider shoulder (validated by the wider nut width measurement) than the 59-85 that makes it seem "fatter", as the neck thicknesses are identical.

The EG59-85 is for sale here: http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=21839

As has been said before buying a guitar based on neck thickness measurements alone will give no gaurentee it'll feel like a nice thick neck when you have it in hand, it all comes down to the profile.

Mojo Pin said:
As has been said before buying a guitar based on neck thickness measurements alone will give no gaurentee it'll feel like a nice thick neck when you have it in hand, it all comes down to the profile.

I know. Even the R8s seem to vary greatly. I am starting to think that I will need to either buy and sell a few LPs before I find the one I like or go and try it in person before purchase.

Back