• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Vintage Tokai Springy Sound/Custom Edition ST50 Slab Board

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Gorgeous flame on this one:

Super dark, reddish/chocolate fretboard too that's rather BRW looking imo..

I really wanted a slab board vintage MIJ Strat, but could not scare one up, so put this together from an '82/'83 Springy body (top spec Final Prospec steel bridge/block) and a later '80s Tokai 'Custom Edition' flamed slab board neck.

It sounds killer, looks and feels like an old one and smokes any off the rack Mex or US Strat, and the Sliders are outstanding.
I have many more pics I'm happy to share, and the guitar comes with a good quality plush lined hard case, and I'll ship anywhere as required.
Price is ?575 OBO, which is a steal as the Slider's cost just under ?300 to land from Oz.
Thanks for looking, J@S.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokai-Springy-Sound-With-Full-Boutique-Upgrades-And-True-Vintage-Vibe-/201125366577?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2ed4018b31 In Your e bay ad where you are also attempting to sell this guitar, you make no mention of your guitar`s mixed parentage i.e. that this guitar has been put together from two separate guitars,in fact you insist on calling it a Springy which it plainly is not. Do you think that is honest? :-? Incidentally, contrary to the statement in your e bay ad, St 70s did not have a slab rosewood board.

I have just noticed that the serial number of the guitar you are attempting to sell as Springy dates from an 85 guitar a date at which Springys were no longer being made,and as for the rosewood board being Brazilian who are you attempting to fool,not us I hope? :roll:

It has been pointed out to me correctly ,by Reborn Old that I should approach this matter in a different manner. Jumping at shadows you have put together a nice looking gutar with quality parts I am sure it sounds fabulous.There is no need to oversell it with references to Brazilian boards,st 70s or Springys which it is plainly not.it is a very good guitar sell it as exactly what it is. Describe it accurately and you will have a happy buyer that knows exactly what he is getting.That makes good ethical business sense.All the best. Gabe.

Sorry! not logged in for awhile..

I didn't mean to mislead anyone with the Springy references- I'm not a Tokai expert and categorise a 'Springy' as a pre CBS small headstock Strat, with the Final Prospec saddles/block, and a Goldstar as the modified headstock, and as this is closest to the former, and what I consider a Springy to be, I called it that- I don't personally attach any extra qualitative value on the name, just the spec.

Anyway, it sold on ebay for peanuts and I did immediately tell the buyer it was in fact a later '80s guitar, and he replied he didn't care about description/definition but the spec and how it sounds/plays so all is well.

Sorry if I ruffled feathers, and a simple PM would have been a better way to voice well meant concerns.

Cheers, J@S

Hi guys,

WTF are 'Sliders'?

I do agree with blueys sentiment - be honest about the beastie and you will have a happy buyer.

For the record -

ST-70 Springys did have slab fingerboards for rosewood and a maple laminated board for the maple necks. Only 2 colours were offered for R/W - YS and FO.

Tokai did not use Brazilian r'wood on Strats - period. They did use well-aged Indian and some Sth American - but not genuine Brazilian.

In the Asian/Pacific and Euro markets, Goldstars did not have Altered headstocks during the 1980's. Only the U.S. market did.

I personally would have advertised it as a Custom Edition only, for the simplicity of it. It's no less detrimental but whether the body is from a Springy or Goldstar is of very little difference considering it is Alder, which is the wood that would have been used on the CE.

Peter Mac

Latest posts

Back