Direct swap for a 1986 Goldstar Sound AST40 tremolo?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warmachine

Reaction score
I've already upgraded this guitars electronics and tuners and am quite happy so far. I'd like to find a quality trem unit that I could swap in. Is there a higher quality Fender or aftermarket unit that would pop in without much modification?

I don't know about Fender, but Gotoh, Schaller etc. normally have routing templates for their tremolos on their website, so if you don't mind doing a ton of measuring with any luck you might be able to find one which is a direct swap...

Dave_Mc said:
I don't know about Fender, but Gotoh, Schaller etc. normally have routing templates for their tremolos on their website, so if you don't mind doing a ton of measuring with any luck you might be able to find one which is a direct swap...

I figured I'd do some searching on google for Fender 62 reissues where people swapped out their bridges, not that I expect Tokai specs to be spot on with Fender...but probably in same ballpark I'd guess.

Fender Highway 1 bridges fit the vintage style mounting holes, but string spacing is slightly narrower. If the mounting holes line up on my Tokai I think the narrower string spacing might work to my advantage since I always have trouble fretting the low E string. I'm going to investigate this further and maybe give it a shot. Would be an inexpensive upgrade.

Highway 1 Strat (2006 and later)
6-pivot bridge
2 1/16 string spacing.
2 7/32 mounting spacing

Wilkinson tremolos with solid steel block are very good and cheap
WVC SB and WV6 SB should fit

Latest posts

Back