Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Direct swap for a 1986 Goldstar Sound AST40 tremolo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warmachine
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Direct swap for a 1986 Goldstar Sound AST40 tremolo? Reply with quote

I've already upgraded this guitars electronics and tuners and am quite happy so far. I'd like to find a quality trem unit that I could swap in. Is there a higher quality Fender or aftermarket unit that would pop in without much modification?
Dave_Mc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Fender, but Gotoh, Schaller etc. normally have routing templates for their tremolos on their website, so if you don't mind doing a ton of measuring with any luck you might be able to find one which is a direct swap...
Warmachine
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_Mc wrote:
I don't know about Fender, but Gotoh, Schaller etc. normally have routing templates for their tremolos on their website, so if you don't mind doing a ton of measuring with any luck you might be able to find one which is a direct swap...

I figured I'd do some searching on google for Fender 62 reissues where people swapped out their bridges, not that I expect Tokai specs to be spot on with Fender...but probably in same ballpark I'd guess.

Fender Highway 1 bridges fit the vintage style mounting holes, but string spacing is slightly narrower. If the mounting holes line up on my Tokai I think the narrower string spacing might work to my advantage since I always have trouble fretting the low E string. I'm going to investigate this further and maybe give it a shot. Would be an inexpensive upgrade.

Highway 1 Strat (2006 and later)
6-pivot bridge
2 1/16 string spacing.
2 7/32 mounting spacing
dombat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkinson tremolos with solid steel block are very good and cheap
WVC SB and WV6 SB should fit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: