Can someone fill me in on the Greco SA-64-70 ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwild

Reaction score
I've recently been looking into purchasing a Greco 87' SA-64-70

It looks very similar to a SA-700 or SA-900, but I've ner seen this model number and it also says on the label it's part of the Super Real Project

Any help or info would be great. Would mainly like to know if it's nitro finish

The 64 means it's a copy of a 1964 model, the 70 stands for 70,000 yen, so similar to the SA-700 (also 70,000 yen). Very likely not nitro.

I have one of these and I can say it's a LOVELY guitar! As Jacco said it's a faithful copy of a '64 ES335, block inlays, THIN polyurethane finish. Mine came with '57 Classics installed so I cannot comment on the original PUPS. Be aware that it's a SLIM neck not a fattie...All in all I love mine and earlier this year I put it up against 2 REAL 335's and I liked the Greco way more...The Gibsons felt really dodgy...Sound wasn't really that great. Hope this helps.

Hi Joe.....I have a 91 SA64-90 and I'm assuming that it's pretty much the same with the exception of a nitro finish on mine and it also has The Groove pickups in it. Slim 60's neck, nice and light too. Great guitar

161.jpg

162.jpg

163.jpg

Reviving the thread.

I've been on the lookout for one of these.

Just wondering the major differences between the SA700 and the SA-64-70.
Wood type etc?

I know the SA-64-70's are more rare than the SA700's... but I've got the opportunity to get a SA700 at the moment and wanted to know if it'll be worth to save the extra for the SA-64-70.

They're both rare birds - you can wait forever for an SA64-70 and 700's don't come around very often either.

I owned and since sold an 89 SA700..... compared to my SA64-90, there was no discernible difference at all - other than the 700 had Fralin pickups in it.

If you like the 700 and the price is right, I'd buy it.

Cool.

There was a SA-64-70 on eBay that I was bidding on but didn't win the bid.

The SA700 that I have been offered is a 1978 according to the Serial.

I don't have any pictures of the one I'm being offered as I went to have a look at it at a local guy who is selling it here in Melbourne.

It's exactly like this one.
http://www.sharpenedflat.com/vintage-guitar/Greco-SA-700-0110

He's selling it at $800-$900AUD.

You might want to double check the year on that. The Super Real series of the SA700 came out in the late 70's and again in 88 and 89.

Mine was an 89.... here's some photos of mine before I sold it:

marcusnieman said:
You might want to double check the year on that. The Super Real series of the SA700 came out in the late 70's and again in 88 and 89.

Mine was an 89.... here's some photos of mine before I sold it:

I don't think the one he's selling is a Super Real Series.

I missed out on a Super Real Series (SA-64-70) that I was bidding on eBay.

The one that I am being offered is a 1978 SA700. Serial Number L78.....

I just bought the SA700. Should have it in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, I'm thinking of installing a Bigsby B7 that I've had here on it.

Instead of drilling holes to the body, I'm gonna install a Vibramate V7 for it.

Does anyone know which one I require?
Or anyone with a SA700 can measure and let me know?
I won't have my guitar here for another couple of weeks, so I'd like to order it before hand rather than waiting to measure up. :)

http://www.vibramate.com/images/Vibramate-V7-335-Spec-1200.gif

Latest posts

Back