Flamed vs. Quilted. What is your favoured finish?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

togps

Reaction score
Flamed....?

LS80F%20Lemon%20Drop%20(2)%20(Large).JPG

..... or quilted ?

LS85Q%20violin%20finish%20(Large).jpg

Plain top. Then quilted, the flamed. Though it depends on the individual guitar. I prefer some flamed tops to quilted and vice versa. Someone on here just got a stunning flamed LP Love Rock a few days ago and I'd prefer that to a quilted but out of those two particular pics I'd say quilted

I really like the quartersawn flamed maple tops like the pictures of the two LS320 I posted today in another thread, i.e. with flames and additional strong lines parallel to the strings. I wonder why that kind of graining is not available as a veneer on cheaper Tokais, only as an expensive solid top. Or did you see it there, too?

I'm a big fan of plain, followed by flamed. There's just something about quilted that puts me off - it's almost like it looks fake or something, I dunno... :)

Jim

Check this out hans-j?rgen, this is one of my latest MIK cherry sunburst models. Very nice top on this one don't ya think?...;)

cherry_sunburst.jpg

JSD said:
Check this out hans-j?rgen, this is one of my latest MIK cherry sunburst models. Very nice top on this one don't ya think?...;)
Holy cow, Batman, red quartersawn alert! :eek: Now please tell your Canadian supplier to order some with '59 mahogany neck, lightweight mahogany back (at most 2 pieces), nickel plated ABR bridge and aluminum tailpiece and in violin finish... :wink: And please none of these greenish tuners... and what's going on with these funky colored fretboard inlays nowadays? :wink: :wink: Oh yes, I forgot: that new "vintage" tweed case is a must, too...

togps said:
How looks this? Another beauty in violin finish matt
Is this a LS80? Weight, pickups, price etc.? 8) But I really think the hardware should be nickel plated especially on these matt finishes, because it looks a bit strange with an "aged" top and brand new metal parts.

personally have never liked the quilt tops, it has to either be plain or flame for me, but each to their own. Just crank it up and play some classic rock on it no matter what it is :wink:

Hans-J?rgen, it is a LS80F. Features as usual. And Nickel hardware. (good camera) The finish is not aged. Simple satin matt lacquer. It was a custom made order for me. The bulk is already sold to dealers. Some threads before I listed they already.

:eek: Nice stuff JSD! Any chance of a mahogany lemon burst kinda Peter Green/ Gary Moore from our Korean brothers? :-? TG

JSD said:

cherry_sunburst.jpg

that looks really nice..... but isnt korean loverocks just photo tops and not solid maple..... or am i wrong in saying this..... i was led to blieve that the korean tokais were rubbish and only the jap ones were worth getting... i have an ls85q but its been sent back bcoz of a minor issue see this post http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4429

but anyway thats what i was told that korean had photo flames and only jap models had solid maple tops...... like korean epiphnes...... but anyway the top really does look pretty on that axe..... id have it......

Latest posts

Back