Tokai Goldstar Sound identification

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melansonranch

Reaction score
Hey everybody, looking at a Goldstar sound a fella has, he says it is mid 80's.
However it doesnt have a slogan under the Tokai decal on the headstock, and it has "made in japan" stamped into the neck plate.
other than not haveing the slogan the headstock matches 1984 in in the registry.
Thoughts?

I'd leave it.
No '80's Goldstar EVER had MIJ stamped on the neckplate - it was a white sticker placed on the back of the neck and they had a serial number stamped on the neckplate.
Under the "Tokai Goldstar Sound' it should read ' The Quality Musical Instruments of the World' and at the end of the headstock "Oldies but Goldies'
If you could post some pics it would help. . ..

sorry i couldnt figure out how to attach a pic.
yes its missing the The Quality Musical Instruments of the World'
on the headstock, otherwise everything else is on the headstock. and has Made in Japan stamped into the steel neck plate right in the middle.
is also doesnt have a skunk stripe up the neck?

thanks for your input.

http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/melansonranch/media/IMG_3079_zpsbf911499.png.html?filters[user]=140232681&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/melansonranch/media/IMG_2657_zpsc8a4de89.png.html?filters[user]=140232681&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2

That is not a Tokai neck IMO.
I'm sure they did not do slab board rosewood in the 80's. It was a curved veneer.
String trees are incorrect as are tuners, and the curve of the headstock below the logo appears a little exaggerated.
Not seeing the whole picture is not helping!

To be accurate, the USA Tokai did have slab fingerboards - but also an altered headstock. The pic does not show the complete headstock.
Tuners are wrong, slab necks do not have 2 string trees - only 1, the black one is from Fender.
At best this would have been an AST-40 YSR but 2 pictures do not give enough detail for a positive ID.

Peter

Back