1980 LS80 Pickups Keep or Replace?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatherjones

Reaction score
I have always liked 57 Classics by Gibson. But the S marked PAFs by 'Goto' arent bad. Should I keep this guitar all original to preserve collector value? I know its a subjective question. But I ask y'all...what would you do?

I think you can pretty safely change them out and not worry too much about the value of the guitar. I think the consensus would be that the pickups are not the main attraction of the early Tokais.

pickup swaps are very common in ls80s because the stock pickups aren't thought of particularly highly... it's the wood most people are interested in!
i'd get some nice PAF copies myself.. maybe look a bit further afield than Gibson, but you don't need to spend a lot to get a lot!

I do, most have. There is no added value to keeping the PCB in. Bear in mind, CTS pot shafts are 1-2mm wider than the stock Japanese ones, so you need to widen the holes VERY CAREFULLY - use sandpaper wrapped around a pencil, and keep checking to see if it's wide enough as you go.

i actually did it with a step-wise router drill bit locked into my handheld screwdriver... very slowly

Round knife sharpening files that have tapered ends work well also.

Modern Premium Tokais already have upgraded pots/harnesses, FWIW.

I liked the Gotoh PAF zebra in the bridge, the neck pickup was lifelss on my 1979 LS80.

I put a set of 1980 DiMarzio PAFs in there and love it. :)

My tech put a set of Duncan '59s in there with nickel covers -- kept the original wiring otherwise. Sounds great. Much better than the original pickups.

Nice wood like that deserves bringing the best out of it - I would swap the pickups and pots. I did and have no regrets. :)

Original Tokai pups either GOTOH either 57 PAFS are on 8 K and even on 9 K range so would think about them as hot PAFs. They have some features not PAF related like the wires connecting to pots being wire insulate not braided. I can say I just tried 57PAF set yesterday and have to say I liked those a lot. Very clean sounding maybe Alnico V.....
I will try an Alnico set in a few days I guess Dr. Vs either Marshallheads.....

I have canged the pickups on my Tokai Love Rocks and Reborn with sucess.If the guitar is very good and has it, it is an improve in my experience.... Stock pickups are good enough however I can say.

I changed the PUPs in my '80 LS80 as well but haven't found the right ones yet. I had a set of SD '59 but they were too dark. Now I have Classic 57s but they are a bit harsh. I think I'll try SD Antiquities next ...

I now have SD Antiquities in my LS80. Very very nice. Clear. Not too trebly. Not too woofy. Very glassy and smooth cleans. Perhaps -- perfect.

Back