• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS: Tokai TE85 (1981, 1pc ash)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mono

Reaction score
Started life in 1981 as a flagship model Tokai TE-85. Not many of these around.. 1pc bodies were very much a rarity then as they are now.
Nitro is worn with plenty of dinks and mojo, some reaction marks on the rear (probably put on a cheap strap at some point), and I have added a pin-up girl decal to the back... a blonde, of course. Needless to say, it came to me routed (not a particularly clean job) for humbuckers at both bridge and neck.

On the guitar:
Kluson style nickel tuners
Brass nut
9.5 inch radius board (newly refretted), medium D shape
Original neckplate with 1981 serial
RD pickups VP-1 in the neck (amazing low wind Dry-Z copy, check them out), 4 conductor
Oilcity Scrapyard Dog in the bridge, 2 conductor
Aged Bareknuckle pickup covers
Original brass 6-saddle bridge
Worn chrome control plate and knobs
3 way switch, wired with 1vol 1tone

Will also come with original golden klusons, control plate and control knobs, in a gig bag.

Not sure where to price this really... how about ?625 plus any shipping?
Prefer to have it collected locally from Bristol/Swindon area.
Would be happy to sell without the pickups if there is any interest in that sort of thing for ?535
Or I could put Gibson Burstbuckers 1&2 in there instead?

Wow, nice job with that one. New frets and flatter board makes it ready to go for another 30 years!

GLWTS!

im away from home at the moment but sure it starts with a 1
will find out as soon as i can and post here

also....

I thought it was commonly agreed that they stopped stamping the numbers and changed to stickers in late 1980

Let?s see...

1 more year of vintage mojo probably :wink:

HiLen,

I believe the change occured around S# 0009600 - 001000., Mid to late 1980.
This is an early 1980 by the serial number and neck and cavity stamps should both have an 'A' added to the code.

Peter

I believe the change occured around S# 0009600 - 001000., Mid to late 1980.

Hi Peter,

reporting that I owned a Springy ST-60r Neck #0009425 without impressed serial number on the last fret. The Sticker was gone already. Code on the neck heel was 10=2
It still had the trussrod inserted from the back (with a skunk stripe) and a hex key trussrod adjuster.
Is there any chart where one can see what?s considered an early or late serial number for a specific year?

As for mono?s tele the codes are 3=14A on the neck heel and 3=14N A in the neck pickup cavity (I saved the pics when I saw it being offered on YH a while back)

We?re hijacking your sales thread for another serial number discussion, mono :) - just tell us when to stop.

Hi guys,

I guage the numbers by the end of '79 and the start of '81.
In both cases one must allow for around 1,000 numbers for changeover.

These are purely examples and not exact numbering.
If 1979 last number was 9004100 and 1981 first number was 1012100 then it would stand there would be roughly 8,000 guitar produced with 1980 serial numbers. . . give or take 1,000.
Divide that number by 12 and we have 750 units per month

That's a beauty! I bet she sounds sweet too!

Was there a hard shell case with it? Do you ship to the US?

Just curious. :p

Sounds very sweet indeed - imagine the bark of a Les Paul with some retained tele twang as a foundation!
No hard-case but nice soft-case and happy to ship to US.

Could you post a pic showing the pickup routing under the scratch plate?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back