Tokai ES100 - when will I find the grail...?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8bit Barry

Reaction score
I bought a second hand Es100 last week that arrived from a shop, but sadly its going back. Its a 2008, mint other than a mark on the rear of the body... I am gutted. Will I ever find one with reasonably thick neck?

DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ES SERIES WITH A THICK(ER) NECK OR AM I GOING HAVE HAVE TO LOOK INTO ANOTHER MAKE? Its just about a C shape, leaning towards a ( shape, not generous, but not slim....

Although the owner said it was a 'fifties neck', he did warn me it could be a little on the thin side, but I held high hopes this would be thick enough.... but alas its not. Its narrow and my hand aches after 20mins...

I have a Gretsch 6120 DSW which has a slimmer neck than I usually like and its similar to the Tokai, but its the string width at the nut on the ES100 that kills it. It measures 42mm at the nut, 33mm from E to E, whereas my Tokai Les Paul is 37mm and so is the Gretsch. I am half thinking I could get another nut recut as there is the space, but it won't make the neck any thicker sadly and this is the crux of the issue.

Even more irritating - The sound of the ES100 is utterly sublime, lively, spanky and chiming. I am now realising how much I prefer hollow body electrics over solid bodies every time, the 335 style is perfect for that sound without the Gretsch bulk...but every Tokai ES I have tried (three others in the ES series over the last few years) all have these narrow / thinner necks - I really thought this was a keeper, but sadly not.

One Gibson I tried last year was perfect.... at ?1900.... but thats too much for me... the value of these Tokai guitars keeps the search moving onwards, but I am starting to think its never going to happen.

Its a crap pic mobile phone pic...

image.jpg

Some special order (6?) were made for a japanese dealer and forum member with a fatter neck if I recall well, check the forum for more info.ES Tokai 2000s model are thinner at the nut than Love Rocks but to me are no so thin but it would depens on the size of own hands and finfers. I do prefer fatter neck as in your case. Maybe an HES/180 would be OK for you, HLS models have a slim fatter neck with a different profile than regular LS models.

My 1981 ES-100R has a fat neck for sure. In between average 1958 and 1959 burst thickness.
Maybe it's not just the thickness but also the amount of 'shoulder' that's important to you.
Anyway, to get an impression of what thickness you like, can you measure at 1st & 11th fret and let us know in which ball park it should be?

Hi Barry,

I saw an '81 ES-100J OR for sale today for 190,000yen.

Not sure if this interests you but could be worth consideration.
PM for link

Peter

jacco said:
My 1981 ES-100R has a fat neck for sure. In between average 1958 and 1959 burst thickness.
Maybe it's not just the thickness but also the amount of 'shoulder' that's important to you.
Anyway, to get an impression of what thickness you like, can you measure at 1st & 11th fret and let us know in which ball park it should be?

Ok I will do some measuring up from Les Paul Reborn necks and post. The whole guitar is fine around the 5th fret upwards... I am going to see Mansons guitars today for a chat about 335s in general, to see if a 42mm nut can be cut with a 36mm or greater width between E and E. I don't want to return the guitar without at least having a go at a modified nut as its sounds so good.

Peter Mac said:
Hi Barry,

I saw an '81 ES-100J OR for sale today for 190,000yen.

Not sure if this interests you but could be worth consideration.
PM for link

Peter

Much appreciated Peter!

Latest posts

Back