Budget Goldstar St

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goddardo

Reaction score
Has anyone seen or heard of the Budget version of the 80's Goldstar St.
My own Tokai started out as one of these.
The main givaway's were flat polepieces.
Inferior trem block/Saddles and chrome budget encased tuners.All other
parts,body/neck etc appeared equal to the upmarket models, except maybe the timber quality.I mentioned above, that my no 1 gigging Tokai(cream colour) started life as one of these, so I upgraded it with kluson type tuners and fitted 3 early Bill Lawrence L220 pickups.GREAT SOUND & RECCOMENDED
I wouldn't part with it for the world.You can see it in the picture gallery with my Tokai TV Junior.The one with the neck angle problem.
Gibsons and Fenders have come and gone, but this Tokai remains.I also aquired another of these budget versions in black later on.
What concerns me is, I've seen a couple of these on Ebay.com passing as "Lawsuit" models
so buyer beware.Incidently, can anyone date my other Goldstar 50, S/B, M/N, no 15423 on backplate

Cheers.

I guess by budget you mean the TST-40 and AST-40 (basically the same but with the modified headstock). They are basically the same as the TST-50 model except for the cheaper tuners and cast bridge saddles. I have an AST-40 from the late 80's and it's a great guitar. I found a set of Tokai Kluson's to replace the el cheapo tuners with and I've replaced the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan Little '59 humbucker and a Hot Stack in the middle position, sounds great! The tone and sustain is excellent. It's also in the gallery, off white/maple neck.

Michael

Back