Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Heavy is Heavy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petercrisscuola
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me stupid if you like, but I love the sound of that damn guitar.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petercrisscuola wrote:
Call me stupid if you like, but I love the sound of that damn guitar.

Nothing stupid about it at all.... don't worry about the weight if you play it sitting down. If it sounds and plays good, then have at it. You're not going to dump your best girl if she gains a few pounds - just more to love.

Some people say that the heavier Les Pauls sound better
8bit Barry
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Mac wrote:
In 36 years, I have owned 16 Les Pauls and worked on many more and find that around the 4.0 kg mark seem to work for most players.
Peter Mac

There's the good answer - thanks Peter
8bit Barry
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacco wrote:
Well, the weight to uphold stays the same, no matter the strap length.
What does matter is;
1. the angle the strap makes on your shoulder for this changes the the amount of body contact surface
2. the width of the strap for this changes the amount of body contact surface
3. the position of the strap on your shoulder
4. the shape of your body
5. the physical condition of your muscles

The main muscle that need to uphold guitar through the strap is the trapezius.
The function of this muscle is to lift your shoulder and to position/stabilize your shoulder blade (it's predominantly a posture muscle).
This muscle is quite large and has several sections. The upper section goes from head & upper vertebrae to top side of the shoulder blade & clavicle.
This part is where the strap rests on also.
The further the strap is positioned towards the shoulder the more work this muscle has to do. So it would be better to have the strap rest more towards the neck.
The problem is that there are many variations in trapezius angle in humans. If you have a sharper angled trapezius (which also enhances when you do fitness work out) the strap will automatically slide more towards the shoulder.
When you make your strap too short you will have to lift your arm sideways a bit to reach the upper frets, which in turn will activate the trapezius. So a high position will fatigue the trapezius earlier.
When you make the strap too long, you get the feeling it will slide off of your shoulder, so that activates the trapezius too (and will cause overuse of your wrist because of the increased angle).
Training of the trapezius, like dumbell flys and shoulder press will help you to have less fatigue when playing standing up.

What an informative reply. Thank you.
At last a reason to do exercise!
Thomas/Sweden
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 4 - 4,3 Kg's for LP's. The OBG 57B however, is only 3,4 Kg but it still sounds great.
Barks67
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4kg and 4.2kg on my two. Those 200 grams make quite a difference if I use the same strap. Oddly still not as heavy as my old telecaster!
8bit Barry
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacco wrote:
Well, the weight to uphold stays the same, no matter the strap length.
What does matter is;
1. the angle the strap makes on your shoulder for this changes the the amount of body contact surface
2. the width of the strap for this changes the amount of body contact surface
3. the position of the strap on your shoulder
4. the shape of your body
5. the physical condition of your muscles

The main muscle that need to uphold guitar through the strap is the trapezius.
The function of this muscle is to lift your shoulder and to position/stabilize your shoulder blade (it's predominantly a posture muscle).
This muscle is quite large and has several sections. The upper section goes from head & upper vertebrae to top side of the shoulder blade & clavicle.
This part is where the strap rests on also.
The further the strap is positioned towards the shoulder the more work this muscle has to do. So it would be better to have the strap rest more towards the neck.
The problem is that there are many variations in trapezius angle in humans. If you have a sharper angled trapezius (which also enhances when you do fitness work out) the strap will automatically slide more towards the shoulder.
When you make your strap too short you will have to lift your arm sideways a bit to reach the upper frets, which in turn will activate the trapezius. So a high position will fatigue the trapezius earlier.
When you make the strap too long, you get the feeling it will slide off of your shoulder, so that activates the trapezius too (and will cause overuse of your wrist because of the increased angle).
Training of the trapezius, like dumbell flys and shoulder press will help you to have less fatigue when playing standing up.

Thanks for the medical info Doc - I never knew any of that...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: