• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS: '79 Tokai LS80GT Reborn, OHSC - UK

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishbonz

Reaction score

Vintage Tokai LS80 Goldtop with dark back, two piece centre seamed solid maple cap on as far as I can tell a one piece mahogany back (the LS80 was specified as a one piece back), '80' stamped at the end of the board, fret edge bindings - frets are in very good order. Original Tokai 'Lifton-style' mottled brown case with pink lining in good order. With the possible exception of the strap buttons it is all original. Weighs 4.2kg. No breaks, repairs or modifications, plays and sounds great. This was the first vintage Tokai LP I bought some 7 years ago now, I have gigged this one on many occasions, it has that mojo that 35 years of careful ownership and use produces, so naturally occurring wear and tear.
?980 + insured courier (UK)
Very fair price, the case is worth up to ?150 IMO!
More detailed pix at: http://s936.photobucket.com/user/badknees2/library/1979LS80GT

Cool. Any idea what pickups are in there?

Came with Goto uncovered zebras I believe.

Yes, Zebra Goto PAFs (adjustable pole pieces on both bobbins) unusually supplied with nickel covers. These covers are unique having 'legs' which fit over the legs of the pickup base, so no solder required.

Very cool! I have the same guitar and put DiMarzio PAFs on it. Who makes the covers? I like that look. 😉

For the record, LS-80's usually came with covers - not open.
Models below and models above had open pups during various years, but the LS-80 consistantly had covers . . to the best of my memory.

Peter Mac.

Interesting. Mine and two oters I have seen from 1979 had the zebra PAF Gotos.

Hi Siggy

I was under the impression that all LS-50, 60, 100 and up had open pups from 1978-up as this seems to be the way they are presented for sale.
From my research, LS-50 and LS-60 had dbl cream bobbins and LS-80 had zebra bobbins to differentiate them from "A" pup to "B" pup.
Interesting, but 1979 catalogue (Vol 2) shows LS-80, LS-60 and LS-50 with covers and LS-100 without.
1980 (Vol 3) shows the same whilst 1981 (Vol 4) all except LS-80 have open bobbins and all dbl cream. Not a zebra in sight.
My 1984 LS-80 OS had nickel covers with Tokai PAF zebra bobbins underneath.
My 1984 LS-200 had covered SD's whilst my 1980 RO LS-50 had dbl cream.
My current LS-100S has dbl cream DiMarzio.

Print dates / copyrights are as follows -

Vol 1 - 30 June -1978,
Vol 2 - 10 Nov - 1978,
Vol 3 - 06 Jan - 1980,
Vol 4 - 06 Mar - 1981.

Peter Mac

Strange, the volume 1 I'm lookimg at is dated april 30 1978, volume 3 is dated november 6 1979, volume 4 is dated march 4 1981..

Would love to see the volume 2 Peter!
Would you like to share that one?

Cool. Here's a link to mine and Mark's 1980. I will let him speak as to whether his p'ups are original.

I have seen another LS80GT listed by meestursparkle in the past year that had them as well.

Hi guys,

For those first 5 years, zebra bobbins seemed to have been fitted only to LS-80. That is not in question.
All I'm pointing out is that the LS-80 were originally shipped with covers.

Jacco,
I finally found a seller in Japan with Vol 2 and bid like crazy to get it. When it arrived it had a surprise I never realised. The inside back cover is actually a pocket and in that pocket were 3 x Tokai Reborn posters for LPR, Springy and PB. Totally worth the $80.00 I had to pay.
It is the same layout as Vol 1 but with 4 extra pages - SS, PB, IBC and Specs.
All in Japanese of course..

Peter Mac

Offered for the very last time and at reduced price, including UK courier. If no takers by the end of the month I will be removing from sale. Considering the value of the original brown/pink HSC it is a very good price IMO.

Latest posts

Back