Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

would you buy a guitar which has had a broken neck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunshinewelly
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: would you buy a guitar which has had a broken neck Reply with quote

Have a chance to get a nice tokai ES 135 (most probably now a 150) for around ?600.

However when looking at the sellers posts i found out the guitar had a broken neck which has now been repaired

seller kept that quiet until i confronted him.

would you buy a guitar which had a repaired neck (my concern is the sellers lack of disclosure)
skydog
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No
Lucke Luke
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had known straight away. If he had made it clear in his advert and how it was fixed or why it occurred. Then sure - at the correct reduced price - if it doesn't bother you - go ahead.

But because he's kept it hidden, just don't buy it out of principle. It's unlikely the case but what else could he be lying about?

God.. men...
sunshinewelly
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought. Seemed very sneaky of the seller not to mention it. It was only almost before i paid that I found an old forum post of his saying neck was broken
petercrisscuola
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lucke. Just for the principle and to avoid additional hidden flaws, don't buy it.

I have a Gib SG 61 reissue which I bought with a neck repair, but the seller told me about it and I even knew the luthier who did the job. No problem to date and I got it for a fair price.

My point is- the issue is not the repair itself. If it is well done, it should last forever. The problem is that the seller is not trustworthy (IMHO).
ampmaker
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neck repairs can be done really well by a skilled luthier. But...

IMHO a neck repair on anything other than a collectible vintage/rare guitar ought to cut its value by at least 1/3rd compared to an identical undamaged guitar. So I'd want a very good price on a busted/repaired Tokai.
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ampmaker wrote:
Neck repairs can be done really well by a skilled luthier. But...

IMHO a neck repair on anything other than a collectible vintage/rare guitar ought to cut its value by at least 1/3rd compared to an identical undamaged guitar. So I'd want a very good price on a busted/repaired Tokai.

Personally I wouldn't even pay 50% of the value on a busted neck guitar, but I would buy one if it was cheap as ^&*(.

The problem is that you never know how the repair has been done, and fixing a repair is harder than fixing the original break (sometimes it can't be done at all if the first repair was done by an amateur).

For me, 600 quid - no fookin' way I'm risking that amount on something like that, but that's just me. Why do it? Just scrape together a bit more money and get one that isn't broken...
mattim
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not collecting guitars. IMO the neck repair is ok if done by a luthier known by me. Good players guitars wtih reasonable prices expected Offers accepted all the time. 600 quid is too steep depending on the manufacturing year.

Matti

Tokai HES180 2013
Tokai LS-150 VF 2009
Tokai FA 235 VF 2009
Also other 4-6-string instruments
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: