would you buy a guitar which has had a broken neck

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshinewelly

Reaction score
Have a chance to get a nice tokai ES 135 (most probably now a 150) for around ?600.

However when looking at the sellers posts i found out the guitar had a broken neck which has now been repaired

seller kept that quiet until i confronted him.

would you buy a guitar which had a repaired neck (my concern is the sellers lack of disclosure)

If you had known straight away. If he had made it clear in his advert and how it was fixed or why it occurred. Then sure - at the correct reduced price - if it doesn't bother you - go ahead.

But because he's kept it hidden, just don't buy it out of principle. It's unlikely the case but what else could he be lying about?

God.. men... :lol:

That's what I thought. Seemed very sneaky of the seller not to mention it. It was only almost before i paid that I found an old forum post of his saying neck was broken

I agree with Lucke. Just for the principle and to avoid additional hidden flaws, don't buy it.

I have a Gib SG 61 reissue which I bought with a neck repair, but the seller told me about it and I even knew the luthier who did the job. No problem to date and I got it for a fair price.

My point is- the issue is not the repair itself. If it is well done, it should last forever. The problem is that the seller is not trustworthy (IMHO).

Neck repairs can be done really well by a skilled luthier. But...

IMHO a neck repair on anything other than a collectible vintage/rare guitar ought to cut its value by at least 1/3rd compared to an identical undamaged guitar. So I'd want a very good price on a busted/repaired Tokai.

ampmaker said:
Neck repairs can be done really well by a skilled luthier. But...

IMHO a neck repair on anything other than a collectible vintage/rare guitar ought to cut its value by at least 1/3rd compared to an identical undamaged guitar. So I'd want a very good price on a busted/repaired Tokai.

Personally I wouldn't even pay 50% of the value on a busted neck guitar, but I would buy one if it was cheap as ****.

The problem is that you never know how the repair has been done, and fixing a repair is harder than fixing the original break (sometimes it can't be done at all if the first repair was done by an amateur).

For me, 600 quid - no fookin' way I'm risking that amount on something like that, but that's just me. Why do it? Just scrape together a bit more money and get one that isn't broken...

I'm not collecting guitars. IMO the neck repair is ok if done by a luthier known by me. Good players guitars wtih reasonable prices expected ;-) Offers accepted all the time. 600 quid is too steep depending on the manufacturing year.

Matti

Latest posts

Back