Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tokai Les Paul model ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chicago
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Tokai Les Paul model ? Reply with quote

Found on eBay:

Tokai Les Paul S/N 9502109, produced in 1995

http://i9.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/a4/b2/cc_1_b.JPG
http://i1.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/b0/2e/0e_1_b.JPG

Who knows what model could it be ?

Last edited by chicago on Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:49 am; edited 2 times in total
ned
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need a picture of the headstock.
Porsche 911 Racing
chicago
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headstock pic 1 and 2:
http://i19.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/af/36/41_1_b.JPG
http://i24.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/b5/9d/02_1_b.JPG
buckwild

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the plunge and bought it. I am pretty sure it's a LS-80F. That top was just too sweet
Jim Jones
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey buckwild,

Agreed! I saw that one earlier and thought it looked really cool. Let us know what it's like.

Jim
togps
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, hey, Buckwild, that is not fair. I discovered this baby first. 3 hours long I pushed the BUY-IT-NOW-BUTTON. Computers...

Buckwild, Congratulation!! It does'nt matter which model it is! It is absolutely an outstanding finish. Go to the editor of the book "Beauty of Bursts". I'm sure, he'll ask you, to may have a pic from her, for its front cover.

Lucky man.
buckwild

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you guys know as soon as I get it.
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who put the Les Paul Logo on headstock? Presumably not Tokai?

Ian.
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Les Paul forum BOTB (Beauty of The Burst) is treated like a bible, though I found it rather disappointing. 95% of it is just eye candy pictures of flamed wooden tops. At the back there?s some useful but fairly brief discussion of original id features (eg ?chew? marks etc), but I found their discussion of wood & grain production unconvincing & seemed to me amateurish (maybe I need to read it again more carefully, hmm? maybe).

Of course the book is strictly confined to Gibson & only to original Les Pauls from period 1958 to 1960, although from time to time people have suggested that some of those guitars may be fakes (or else rebuilds or conversions). I?ve no idea if that?s true, but the suggestion is always met with an outcry on Les Paul forum, because of course each of those guitars is owned by a private collector & each has invested up to $.25million in it ? I suppose they?d likely sue anyone who implied their original burst was less than genuine.

Ian.
tubedogsmith
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find BOTB to be most informative. What other book has more info on the Les Paul and what makes it tic? Why the pups are what they are, explanations of the way the wood was cut, imprtance and significance of neck angles, etc.... Actually most of the owners of those guitars have very little invested in them as they've owned them a long time. They are worth a lot now though. There have been many discussions of the three guitars in that book that some say are replicas. Very few people posting on internet boards now anything other than what they read on an internet board. Make sure you deferentiate between passed on gossip and info based on first hand experience. How can you discuss and insinuate a guitar is not what it's claimed to be if you are not an expert and have not personally handled that guitar yourself?
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tubedog, if I may quote you ? ?Make sure you deferentiate between passed on gossip and info based on first hand experience. How can you discuss and insinuate a guitar is not what it's claimed to be if you are not an expert and have not personally handled that guitar yourself? ?.

OK, which non-expert did you think was ?discussing & insinuating a guitar?? ? Did you think I was doing that? If that?s what you thought then you need to read my post again.

What I said was that in the past some people had made such suggestions, but I said I had no idea if it was true. And then I added that guys on Les Paul forum had pointed out that owners had a big investment in those guitars & would probably be pretty unhappy at any such suggestions. That?s entirely the opposite of what you seemed to think I said.

As for you enjoying the book, that?s fine. As I say, I didn?t think much of it.

Ian.
Hot Rod
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="togps"]Hey, hey, Buckwild, that is not fair. I discovered this baby first. 3 hours long I pushed the BUY-IT-NOW-BUTTON. Computers...

Buckwild, Congratulation!! It does'nt matter which model it is! It is absolutely an outstanding finish. Go to the editor of the book "Beauty of Bursts". I'm sure, he'll ask you, to may have a pic from her, for its front cover.

Lucky man. [/quote]

Hi out there, that's pretty funny togps, seems that Ebay.de was sort of blocked I wanted that lady so bad , still have no Japanese girlfriend!!

He Buckwild, do you now, that LS 80F are rising in price now, congratulations Hot ROD
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some time not seeing it, I took the book again and I read slowly.Ok, there are a lot of pictures,OK not much text,but it's very informative to me.You can see a superb atention to detail wich only a japanese can get(or a German) Yashuiko Iwanade has been a Fender and Gibson Masterbuilder in the past.Another excellent book from him I am not able to get for myself (out of edition unluckily) is "Galaxy of strats".

I remember here a thread about Tokai measurements(great idea!) taken from that book.Tokai are very close to that 50's Gibbo.A lot of details are very similar.
tubedogsmith
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian wrote:
Hi Tubedog, if I may quote you ? ?Make sure you deferentiate between passed on gossip and info based on first hand experience. How can you discuss and insinuate a guitar is not what it's claimed to be if you are not an expert and have not personally handled that guitar yourself? ?.

OK, which non-expert did you think was ?discussing & insinuating a guitar?? ? Did you think I was doing that? If that?s what you thought then you need to read my post again.

What I said was that in the past some people had made such suggestions, but I said I had no idea if it was true. And then I added that guys on Les Paul forum had pointed out that owners had a big investment in those guitars & would probably be pretty unhappy at any such suggestions. That?s entirely the opposite of what you seemed to think I said.

As for you enjoying the book, that?s fine. As I say, I didn?t think much of it.

Ian.

I was speaking in general, sorry if I hit a nerve with you.
buckwild

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys it came today and not without it's fair share of problems. The frets have some pretty heavy wear which I am disappointed about. There are a few dead spots but I think this has to do with the frets. The tuners are all in really bad shape, woobly, and not holding tune very well. Also there are some really big dents on the headstock and top of the guitar. However, she looks stellar and doesn't play that bad at all. I'm gonna slap some grovers on it and put in some new electronics and pickups. It will be smoking when I'm done. I'm in the process of trying to get some compensation from the seller since he did a little shall we say false advertising. here are the pics

[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: