prices going up...ls 80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek: I have seen him twice in the last year. He lives here in Dallas in a Downtown Loft in the club district and I found him playing slide on an aluminium Raintree? guitar in Charly's backroom! Funky bathing cap and all! :lol: I told him about the Registry :wink: TG

Hey TG, well that?s the important bit huh??telling the Rev about Tokai registry/forum 8) . Hmm, seriously, have to admit I?ve never listened to a single track from ZZ Top (not one note) :( . Dunno why, just seemed to pass me by over here in London. I know Billy Gibbons is highly rated, especially amongst Les Paul aficionados, but guess I?m stuck in a time warp still playing that old 50?s 60?s Blues/R&B stuff ? those simple early raw tones just hit the right musical spot for me (guitar wise at least) ... though in a wider musical sense I like all sorts from Robert Palmer to Coldplay (taking in Squeeze, Roxy Music, early Bowie, White Stripes, Steely Dan ? total mixture). Sorry if that?s veering off topic. :-?

Ian.

Well not just LP tones ... everyone raves about Clapton's tone on Beano LP (me too, absolutely love it), but compare his tone & playing with Otis Rush on All Your Love... raw power & left hand vibrato from Rush in 56 is a revelation, yikes :eek: . ... One of these days I must try some stuff from first two Steely Dan LP?s, nice ?tunes? ? I have a decent songbook/CD somewhere. :-?

Ian.

:eek: Ian, Get a copy of "Tres Hombres"from 74' thats the Billy G I'm talking about. I never liked the MTV stuff with the synths and drum machines. The trilogy that opens "Tres" is worth the price ...I believe you will be converted. :wink: When its just the three of them playing together it's really good! For live examples see "Fandango" one side is live and the other in the studio. My favorite tones come from the hands of Bill Nelson and Gary Moore...but thats just my opinion! "you can meet me in the Air-age if you like"TG

Get "FANDANGO", listen to BLUE JEAN BLUES :D BEST LES PAUL TONE ever!!!! :wink:

Hot ROD :wink:

Sorry, no guitar god but just a humble blues player and LS 120 owner :wink :wink:

Oh yeah, I can support that too. You just have to get an old ZZ-Top LP (OK, it's CD now. I know :wink: ) for THAT LP tone!!!!!

tokaiguy said:
:eek: What can I say when you've said it all! 8) TG
http://www.stevemoore.addr.com/hotnews.html#Feedback

...by the way: here's a rare picture of very young Billy G. performing with 2 Marshall Stacks and a Firebird I :wink:

Just scroll down the page a bit and you 'll find that picture.

This could be also interesting to Hans-J?rgen 8)

Hot Rod said:
http://www.stevemoore.addr.com/hotnews.html
...by the way: here's a rare picture of very young Billy G. performing with 2 Marshall Stacks and a Firebird I :wink:
Thanks for the link, I didn't know this site yet.

By the way, "Blue Jean Blues" is very likely the neck pickup of either a Strat or Tele, not a Les Paul. :wink: And while I'm at counting peas again, if anyone wants to listen to the old recordings, he should not use the usual CDs, because they had been remixed to sound more modern for the "Sixpack" release back then. But luckily there is a rather new double CD box where they use the original master tapes from the old sessions, and that one sounds really fine, like the vinyl LPs or even better. One exception to this is the live side of "Fandango" which I like better in the Sixpack remix, because there they didn't add any reverb etc. and only transferred the great stage and audience sound to the CD, obviously from a better source than the new double CD release.

Hi TG ? yeah I don?t know why I never listened to ZZ Top, not intentional, just one of those strange omissions ? I?ll try to give that stuff a listen ? agree about Bill Nelson of course ? if we?re just talking tone then I also liked Mick Ronsons tone on Bowie Ziggy Stardust LP, and also the guitar on Curved Air LP ?Air Cut? (eg track called ?Armin?) ? just mention those as examples that guys wouldn?t normally consider ? more later, rushing to catch flight now, back next Saturday (ha,? means you all be mercifully free of my mindless drivel for week, yeeha!). :)

Ian.

Where you bin', Ian. I like the intro to "Brown Sugar" and ALL of "Sure got cold after the Rain Fell" - check the first two albums - the cover of the first is a nice shot of..... think its an LS80 or something....in sepia :wink:
Ronson is incredibly underrated - check "White light/White heat" and "Lifes so short please Woman....." from his solo stuff. Killer use of Wah - Wah, the guitar literally screams with emotion. Nobody looked cooler either! Yeah, Bill Nelson was good too. I used to do "Maid in Heaven and "Sister Seagull" in my first band -it was bloody awfull!
What about Bolan? :-? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Latest posts

Back